Chapter 4

Approaching the inn, a very strange noise met Roocal's ears. Something he definitely hadn’t expected. Laughter and the sound of people having fun. 

Trying not to get his hopes up too much, he opened the door and walked in. Carb was sitting at one of his tables alongside a stocky bearded Chester who was laughing heartily into his mug of ale. There was also a skinny Flutie at the table giggling away under his hand. On seeing Roocal, Carb immediately stood up and shouted, “Over here, friend.”

“This fine fellow here is Roocal,” Carb continued, “And is more than likely in need of a drink.”

“Understatement of the year,” Roocal mumbled.

“Poor Roocal here has spent the afternoon with the two women I was telling you about,” Carb clarified.

The Chester's expression turned to one of sympathy, “Let us buy you a drink.”

“No need, drinks are on me,” Roocal said, flipping a silver piece at Carb.  

The Chester’s face lit up, “I like you already,” he said, clapping Roocal on the back. “I’m Groog.”

Roocal returned the smile, and then looked at the Flutie.

“Biggleswuffles,” the little man said. 

Roocal wasn’t quite sure what to say to that, so just nodded and said, “Bigs.”

Noticing the huge two-handed axe resting up against the side of the table, “Who chose the axe?” Roocal asked.

Bigs thought this was hilarious and fell off his chair laughing. Roocal liked these two already too.

A good couple of hours later, and countless mugs of ale, their chatting was interrupted by an old man walking in through the front door. The poor fellow looked thoroughly depressed and immediately brought the mood of the place down a notch or three. 

Carb stood up and went over to help the man to what was presumably his usual table and got him a beer. 

Returning to the three adventurers, Carb said, “That’s Trell. His daughter disappeared in the woods west of here about a year and a half ago. He spends all day sitting at home waiting for her to return before coming here in the evening. Nobody knows what became of her. I’m certain she is dead but I wish someone could discover what actually happened, so poor old Trell over there can get some peace.”

Groog seemed stirred into action. “Maybe we can help?” he said standing up and looking at Roocal, not the slightest bit worse for wear, which was crazy given the vast quantity of beer he’d drunk.

Bigs also stood. “We should help. Mr Trell looks sad. I don’t like sad people. They make me sad.” 

They were both looking at Roocal now.

“OK. But there is something I want to do first,” Roocal said.

The others looked at him, waiting for an explanation.

Roocal reached inside his pouch and pulled out the token with ‘ki’ inscribed on it. “I was hoping to find out what this is,” he said. 

As well as the word ‘ki’, Roocal noticed there was actually a picture etched onto the reverse side. It was very faint but when he held the coin next to the light he could definitely make out a key.

He then noticed Bigs was examining a similar token in the light. “Anki,” Bigs said, placing his token alongside Roocal’s. The word ‘an’ clearly written on one side of Bigs’ token. Groog then fumbled with his pouch and produced a third coin. His was idententical to Roocal’s.