Prologue

How do you tell someone that they are going to die today?

I watch Cyrena carefully as she attempts to fix herself a cup of tea. Her hands are shaking and her skin is a few shades paler than normal. The moment I laid eyes on her this morning, something told me that she wouldn't live to see another day. Cyrena taught me to trust that intuition; she says it is a gift I have because I am a nymph.

"I can feel you watching me like I'm going to break," Cyrena accuses me, turning to face me now. "Today is the day, isn't it?"

I don't have to say a word for her to know the answer. Much to my dismay, Cyrena has been anticipating this day for a long time. She is not afraid of death.

"Don't look so lost, Toni," she says sadly. She braces her weight on the table in the kitchen as she walks towards my chair, abandoning her tea. "I lived a long, happy life. I've kept you tethered here. It's time you go live your life." I sigh and turn away, unable to look her in the eyes any longer.

I know she's right, I just don't want her to be.

It's always just been us, though - Cyrena and I. Cyrena is a wolf; after her mate passed away, she moved out into the middle of the woods between the Silver Pearl Coven and the River Falls Frollick. She has told me a lot of stories about her mate. His name was Navaro and he was a wizard; he was unable to have children, unfortunately, so Cyrena has always wanted to raise a child. Which is why she was overjoyed at the opportunity to raise me when I was dropped on her doorstep as a pixie - even if I am from a species she knows nothing about. She definitely had her hands full raising me.

I look back at her and offer her a watery smile. "I just don't know what I'm supposed to do without you."

"Oh, sweetie," she sighs, draping a frail arm over my shoulder. "You were the last gift I was ever given in this world," she tells me, "now, you are my gift to the world. You have such a beautiful soul and I know you can find happiness without being stuck here with me all alone. I'm sure Narissa and Marald would be more than happy to have you join the frollick."

Narissa is my best friend and pretty much my only friend. Her and her brother, Marald, live in the River Falls Frollick with their parents. They are both fairies, like me, but Narissa is also a witch, a trait she got from her father. Unlike me, though, they are nature fairies. Narissa is a sprite, which makes her an earth fairy; her brother is an ignid, so a fire fairy.

"Marald, especially," Cyrena adds when I don't say anything about her suggestion. I try to glare at her, but the smile on her face is too funny. She knows that I've slept with Marald a few times, but she should also know that I am not interested in pursuing a life with Marald as my mate. He is sweet and kind and funny, but I just don't feel the connection I know I should. Something in me is telling me that he isn't the one for me and Cyrena taught me to trust my intuition.

"He's been very clear that our relationship is nothing but casual," I remind Cyrena, "which I am perfectly okay with." She nods her head and doesn't push the issue. "But, you are right. I'll leave to go and visit Narissa and Marald tomorrow."