Chapter 12 - Okay, Next

I never thought I would be so attached to one person, but here I am

Toni's gentle hand in mine is the only thing keeping me in natural form. I honestly have no idea how to think or feel right now. I feel so angry, sad, confused, and frustrated but...I also just feel numb. I really have no idea what's going on.

Toni says nothing as we walk through the halls of the serai. I can't even imagine what she's feeling. Do I want to know?

Is she upset with me?

Even though I know it is a completely illogical thought, I can't help but be afraid. I don't know what I would do if I had to cope with all of this alone.

What the fuck am I talking about? I've hardly experienced anything compared to what she's been through.

She seems to sense my unease, because she squeezes my hand then, pushing the door open to lead us outside. I calm down slightly, but immediately flare again when I spot Marald approaching frantically.

"Clare! Someone said there was fighting in the serai, are you okay?" he rushes out, not even sparing me a glance. He gets far too close for my liking and even looks as if he is going to try and reach for her. It takes everything in me to not yank her away from him. I can tell she secretly loves my possessiveness, but she is a very capable woman and I don't want to overdo it.

Luckily, she shifts back ever-so-slightly, throwing him a look that screams, "are you fucking serious?"

His eyes widen and he glances at me, as if realizing for the first time that I'm here. He genuinely looks shocked to see me. Anger covers his features and he glares at me.

"You," he spits at me. "I overheard the wolf talking to my sister. You're despicable." I want to be angry, but I'm honestly just confused. What the hell did Wyatt say that made me sound so horrible? Marald turns to Toni then, looking smug, as if he is about to win her over. "He never wanted to have a mate," he gestures to me, "and he still doesn't. His parents are here and he's fucking leaving with them." My eyes widen in shock at how confident he sounds. My eyes snap to Toni, making sure she doesn't believe a word he says. She wouldn't, would she?

I am relieved to find that she appears extremely unimpressed.

"Look at him," Marald laughs, "terrified. Yeah, I foiled your plan. What are you going to do now? Ready for me to beat the living crap out of you as you promised?" My arm twitches and I wish I could punch the smug grin off of his face. This guy is delusional.

"What the fuck is your problem Marald?" Toni seethes. I don't think I've ever seen her so livid.

"What?" he asks her, his jaw dropping. "Didn't you hear me? He-"

"He's my fucking mate, Marald," she snaps angrily. Her tone is commanding, leaving no room for argument. Marald even looks a little scared. "Who do you think you are?"