Chapter 15 - I Think I Know You

"We're here to visit a pack member

"We're here to visit a pack member." 

"What's the name and species?"

We've finally arrived at Red Moon's border and I've come to find that pack wolves are even more terrifying than I thought they would be; especially the threatening looking ones that patrol the edge of the territory.

"Galan, he's a fairy," Maverick chimes in, trying to sound confident despite how tired we all feel. 

We left the frollick yesterday morning and have been travelling for a little over a day and a half. Wyatt and Maverick have been travelling in beast form while the fairies of the group have taken to the sky. We crashed in the Knightly family cabin last night, but only stopped briefly to eat and get a couple hours of sleep. I feel as though I could collapse from exhaustion at any moment.

"Does he know you're coming?" the border wolf continues to question us, snapping me from my tired thoughts. I need to focus.

"This is more of a surprise visit," I say hesitantly. The wolf that had been addressing us quirks an eyebrow at me. "We're family," I add more confidently, "and haven't seen him in a while." 

The other wolf glances at our group, seeming to notice the fairy majority. He must know Galan and know that he's a fairy. 

"Names and species," he demands. 

"Wyatt Humphfry, wolf," Wyatt offers immediately. "And my mate, Narissa Knightly." The two wolves share a look when they hear her name. "Fairy and witch."

"Marald Knightly," Marald says, obviously noting that the wolves recognize their heritage. "Fairy."

"Clare Free, fairy," I tell them. I gesture towards Mav. "Maverick Ward, my mate. Wizard."

The two wolves share yet another look and one appears to mind-link someone else for a moment. 

"Alright, follow this path and it will lead you towards the housing district," the wolf says, gesturing down a path marked with little yellow flags. 

"Thank you very much," Narissa gushes, immediately stepping forward. One of the wolfs steps towards her threateningly, causing Wyatt to growl and move forward as well. 

"We'll be keeping an eye on your group," the wolf says, almost as if he is bored with us. 

The two wolves walk away then, without another word, leaving us to decide if we really wanted to venture any further. 

Of course, we decide to proceed and begin following the designated path. 

The pack land is a lot different than the terrain back at the frollick. I am used to expansive fields and meadows, wide trails and open skies. Here, I would be lucky to see the sun directly. I wouldn't dare fly through the thick weave of branches above me. The ground is rocky and rough and makes me regret my choice of thin footwear.