Chapter 10 - Losing Control

"You need to hide

"You need to hide."

I turn around to look at Wyatt with a bewildered expression. I was just about to knock on Toni's door and he wants me to hide?

I must look as confused as I feel because he hurries up to me.

"Your parents are here," he tells me with wide eyes.

My voice is barely a whisper when I say, "What? Why?"

"They know you have a mate," he tells me hurriedly. "I'm not sure how, but it all makes sense, now."

"What? What makes sense?" I ask him, furrowing my eyebrows. My mother assured me my whole life that I didn't have a mate. She told me she had checked. Is he saying that was a lie? Did they know all along?

I won't deny the thought had crossed my mind, but I hadn't really allowed myself to think about it yet. I just want to focus on Toni.

"Before we left, when your mom was freaking out," Wyatt begins. I am brought back to that day, it feels like so long ago, now. My mother didn't want me to leave, she thought something terrible was going to happen. My father was against it until...

"What did my father say to her that day?" I ask him. He has those freaky wolf ears. He must have heard it. Why didn't I think to ask him before? He hesitates before responding.

"He said: 'we tried to stop it, but maybe we can't; maybe we just have to let them meet,'" Wyatt tells me. My heart falls into my stomach. They did know the whole time.

My whole life.

Anger flares up inside of me and I want nothing more than to find them and demand why they did this to me. Part of me feels as if everything that's happened with Toni and I is somehow their fault.

"Maverick, you have to calm down," Wyatt says, "you shift now. You can't lose control."

He's right, I'm getting really worked up. I didn't feel nearly close to shifting, though, so that's good.

"What's going on?"

I turn towards Toni's door to find it wide open with her standing in the doorway. I open my mouth to speak, but I'm not sure what to say. I had a whole speech prepared that I was supposed to say when she opened her door. Now, it all dies in my throat and time is running out because my parents will definitely be here soon.

"Where are they?" I ask Wyatt.

"I smelled them a little earlier, but they didn't see me. I came to tell you, right away," Wyatt answers. "They're heading this way. I picked them back up a couple seconds ago." He sniffs the air as if to prove his point.

"Who's heading this way? What's going on?" Toni asks, she glances at me and she looks worried when she notices how freaked out I am. "Mav?" I don't say anything, but her eyes suddenly change. She knows my parents are here.