Chapter 4 - Conflicted

"Dude, that was her," I hiss at Wyatt, watching Toni walk away

"Dude, that was her," I hiss at Wyatt, watching Toni walk away. I'll call her Clare if she wants, but calling her Toni just feels right. I'm totally doing it when she's not around.

"Yeah, she's nothing like what I expected for a girl that grew up pretty secluded," Wyatt chuckles.

"What do you mean?" I ask, though I think I know. She certainly surprised me with the way she checked me out so confidently. I won't lie, it was a huge turn on. It took Ginessa over a month to become that confident around me. 

Wyatt snorts at my question before I can follow that train of thought.

"You know what I mean, asshole," he laughs. "But something was different when she caught you checking her out," he continues. I furrow my eyebrows and he watches me carefully. "You affected her."

"How do you know it was something I did? Did you check her out, too?" I ask, though I'm not sure I want to know the answer to that. I really don't want him to say that he did. 

He shrugs and pointedly says, "Sure, but it wasn't the same as how she reacted to you."

This dumbass thinks I'm the nymph's mate? "You don't think..." I trail off. No, there's no way.

"Did you feel anything?" he asks me with raised eyebrows.

"She's stunning," I say with a shrug, "you didn't?" I mean, I know he's looking for his mate and everything, but my friend isn't a prude; he definitely found her attractive. But, why does thinking that make me feel weird?

He rolls his eyes at me. "Yeah, she'd probably be a great fuck," he agrees and I feel my body flush with anger. "But, she's not my mate. And, I didn't affect her the way you did. The way she smelled, she probably needed to stop in her room to dry herself up." My jaw drops and I stare at him as he laughs like a maniac. "I'm not even exaggerating."

"You're insufferable," I grumble, ignoring him and beginning to eat my food. It's pretty much cold now. I lift my plate up and hold it over my palm, quickly creating a small fire over my skin. I warm up my food as I talk. "You're reading way too far into things, dude. I'm just hotter than you are, clearly." He laughs again and shovels some food into his face.

"Maybe," he says with a full mouth, "or you're mated to a nymph. And that's pretty freaking cool, man!"

"Says who?" I ask, putting out my flame and setting my plate back down. "Why should I even want to have a mate? To be stuck with someone for the rest of my life, even if it is her..." I picture Toni in my head again, the way she smiled so sweetly before she left. Maybe I wouldn't mind waking up to that smile every day...

I'm getting way too far ahead of myself. There's no way I'm her mate in the first place. My parents always told me having a mate was something I wouldn't want and, even though it doesn't really seem all that bad, I trust their judgement. My mother always assured me that I wouldn't be forced into a relationship like Wyatt would be; she's a Seer, so she knows what she's talking about. I'm sure I don't have a mate.