🎼 Songwriting ✍️

"Music is often simpler than words"

(Artwork cover by lil._.g.e.m on Instagram)

It was just them left in the room, Hailey and Jake. There's a bit of an awkward silence until Hailey starts to pick up the lyric papers of the stands. "So, do you need any help cleaning up?" Jake asks. Hailey stunned by the way deciding whether to say yes or no. "No, it's ok Jake. Really I can pick myself, this is my house after all. You can go ahead and go home if you want." Jake hesitates to stay or leave, he decides to help Hailey pick the papers. Hailey doesn't really mind it, in fact she loves that he's here with her. "Oh, Hailey I've been meaning ask you this.." he pauses for a sec. "why did you... let me in the band?" She was hoping he wouldn't ask that question. She couldn't tell him the real reason of why. "I mean you can sing very well... so why did you need a singer?" There's silence in the room. "I'm sorry I shouldn't have asked-" "No, it's ok Jake. I just simply don't like singing." Jake decided not push her more, so he stayed quiet. Jake packs his stuff when Hailey stops him. "Oh, Jake!" "Yes. princess~" Hailey annoyed at the nickname his made for her "Don't call me princess! Anyways, I was wondering when will you be free to start writing some song lyrics." Jake had completely forgotten that he had to write a song with Hailey for the band competition. "Any day is fine with me!" Hailey thinks what would be the best day. "Monday, after school?" Jake nods in agreement and waves goodbye.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Monday, in the music room

"Looks like someone's got a crush!" Zander teased Hailey along side Luke. "Both, shut up! I don't have crush on him!" On who? Someone said distinctly. "Oooo~" Luke and Zander giggle a bit. "Oh hey, Jake I didn't see you there." "So who's this mystery crush you guys are talking about?" Hailey gets flustered "Oh, nobody in particular" Hailey looks through the papers on the desk, not noticing Jake is very close to her face. Are you sure, princess~? he said.

"I already to you not to call me that! Do you ever hear me calling you a 'simp'?" Hailey thought that would shut him up, but instead he replied "No, but you should, I wouldn't mind princess." I hate you, Jake! "I hate you too, Hails!" Jake walked away with a charming smirk, that Hailey could not help but blush. "So are we gonna practice or not?" Milly says.

____________________
After practice

Hailey is left behind to clean up, Sean said that he would do for her but she insisted that she would do it today. Hailey heavily sighs. "So, do you want on the song" Jake asks which startled who had no idea he was still here. "Oh, Jake! You're still here?" "Yeah, you said we should meet up today after school to work on the song lyrics." Hailey jokingly says, "I thought you would've bailed on me for your 'idiot' friends." She giggles, for some reason that giggle made Jake smile and feel a warm feeling inside. He brushed it off. "Come sit here. I have some ideas."

Jake's POV
"So which one do you like?" Hailey asks. The two options where to write about school, which seemed like a very boring option that even Hailey didn't seem like she didn't want to do it. The other, was to write about love. "Let's write a love song!" he responds. Hailey seems excited but doesn't make eye contact with Jake when talking. Maybe she doesn't feel comfortable with eye contact. "What comes up to your mind when you think about love?" Hailey asks with a nervous tone. Love, what is love? How does it make me feel inside? "I feel happy, and makes want to go to school see her face..." he dozes off.

Hailey's POV

Her? She thinks as her heart is breaking into pieces. "Are you ok? It looks like you're crying" Hailey wipes the tear from her face. "Yeah I'm fine, just allergies..." Why do I care if he likes someone, I don't like him like that and shouldn't love him. It's wrong. "We can work on it another day if you'd like." " No it's fine, we can do it now." I have to focus now, what could be a good lyric for this song? "You said you want to their face when you go to school?" Jake replies "Pretty much, and sometimes when their not here... I wish that I can find, a certain face that I would immediately recognize" "Wait, say it again" She could sense that Jake was confused but he said again. "That wouldn't be a bad lyric. How about you try singing but change some of the words." Jake hums a melody "I wish that I can find, a face that I would recognize~" "That really wasn't bad, I can tell you are gonna be a natural at this Jake!" Jake smiled but it didn't seem genuine.

They both spend a bit more time on the lyrics until about 6 P.M. Jake offered Hailey a ride home but she had already asked Zander to pick her up. He waited until Zander got here. "Come on, Hailey!" Hailey runs towards the car and drops something. "Bye, Jake! See you tomorrow!" Zander said. Jake waved goodbye and notices the thing Hailey dropped, it was her lyric journal.

(Sorry this was short and pretty boring, and also confusing. But I hope you enjoyed. Hopefully I can get chapter 3 out tomorrow!)