Chapter Four

Luke's room was larger than any he'd been in before. He found that all of his personal belongings had already been brought to the manor.

"A bath has been drawn for you through there." The servant indicated a closed door. She was a middle aged woman, with red hair that had just begun to grey. "Clothes are waiting for you inside." Then she left. Luke put his egg on the bed, slipped through the door and shed his clothes. He stepped into the bath that was waiting for him. The water was hot. He gasped as he lowered himself into it. He bathed then got into the clothes waiting for him. A green tunic with black hose, leggings, tan breeches that went past his knees and shiny black boots. Luke felt uneasy getting into the clothes. He was dressing above his status, a deed punishable by death. He knew they'd been provided for him, because they're what the Earl wanted him to wear, but that didn't help his uneasy feeling. He decided to not put on the boots. Luke stepped back into his bedchamber and got a good look at it. The bed was bigger than the one he'd slept in at his foster home and old home, it was even bigger than the ones both his foster and biological parents had slept in. There was a window seat in one of the windows, another window reached from halfway up the wall to the floor opened to a balcony. Someone knocked on his door.

"Yes?" Luke called.

"I've come to take you to dinner." It was the servant. Luke opened the door.

"I'm ready." He told her. Her eyes wandered to his stockinged feet.

"Maybe some shoes?" She said, Luke looked down at his feet.

"Oh. Right." He went to the room he'd bathed in, and grabbed the shiny black boots that had been left for him and put them on. Then he followed the servant to the dining hall.