Chapter 20

Luke tried to fend off Forwin's attacks.

Stop! I'm here to help you! Luke desperately told him. The attack didn't stop. Luke retreated.

He attacked me! He told Fionntan.

He's worse off than I thought. I will go in with you this time. Fionntan replied. Luke reached out his mind again and he felt Fionntan do the same. They entered Forwin's mind. They went inside the cavern again. Luke felt Forwin's anger and frustration at him being back inside his head. He went to attack Luke again, but Fionntan stopped him.

What's he doing here? Forwin demanded.

He's here to help. Fionntan replied.

I don't need help! Forwin said. Luke quietly went through Forwin's mind while Forwin was distracted by Fionntan. He found a damaged bit and began to repair it

You didn't tell me his mind was damaged! Luke said to Fionntan.

I did not know. Luke finished repairing the damage and found the next bit, which was bigger than the first. The third was smaller, but the fourth was bigger than all three combined. Luke wasn't sure he could repair it. He tried, but it tore apart again. Luke knew why, this was the part of Forwin's mind that was the source of his power.

Fionntan, this part is too damaged for me to repair, it's the source of his power, only someone stronger than me can fix it. Luke reported. He retreated from Forwin's mind. So did Fionntan.

How did they do that? Fionntan asked.

I think The Enslaver did it. He's a pretty strong telepath. He almost successfully twisted my mind. What power did Forwin have? Luke said.

He had the power of life, he could give it, or take it away. He used to spend all of his time giving his family's garden life. When a plant died, he gave it life. Word of his power reached The Crows, and they came for him. They killed his family and destroyed the garden. He was devastated, but he could not grieve for long, The Crows put him under their control. He only managed to give his brother life, The Crows took him too.

That's horrible!

His brother escaped a short while later, he tried to take Forwin with him, but failed. He barely managed to escape when they sent Forwin after him. Fionntan sighed. Forwin nearly killed his brother that day. They landed in a clearing to wait for the others. Fionntan came over to Luke. He took off the bandage around Luke's stomach with his teeth. He ran his tongue down the wound.

Be healed. He said. The wound closed up completely, leaving behind a scar. Strength returned to Luke's limbs.

Thank you. Luke said.

No, thank you. Fionntan carefully took Forwin off of his back and laid him on the ground. The sounds of fighting reached them. Fionntan shielded Forwin, Luke and Eclipse with his wings. Through a gap in Fionntan's wings, Luke saw his friends crash through the undergrowth. They were fighting several Underaged. Suddenly a loud ear splitting caw sounded through the trees. The Underaged retreated.