XII ~ You are whipped

Arabella and the boys returned to Hogwarts after the best summer Ara's ever had

Arabella and the boys returned to Hogwarts after the best summer Ara's ever had. For once in her life she didn't have hours of ballet and french practice, nor did she have to participate in those ghastly 'how to be a lady' lessons. For the first time in a long time, she felt at home.

Ara and Griffin had seen their older siblings often that summer. They were slowly building back their trust, but it wasn't quite there yet. Of course, Ara wanted nothing more than to trust her siblings completely again. But trust is such a fragile thing, and it does not mend easily.

The Gryffindors sat in a compartment together, Ara had her head rested on James' lap and he was playing her wavy locks with one hand and the other rested on her shoulder. The two had become undeniably close, spending every waking hour together. But every time one of their friends approached them about it, they shrugged and said they were 'just friends. The others could smell the bullshit from a mile away but didn't push the matter.

"Can you believe it? Sixth year?" Sirius exclaimed

"Yes Sirius, that's usually what comes after fifth year," Arabella said sarcastically

"Your humour never fails to amaze me," Sirius said with a fake amused face.

The others laughed, but realistically Sirius was right. This was their second last year before they would have to go into the real world and fend for themselves. A war was coming. Everyone knew it, and each one knew that they would be on the front lines.

"twinkle, can I ask you a question?" James asked, stroking her hair

"you just did" Arabella hummed

"ha ha," James deadpanned, "what are you gonna do about your parents?"

The whole compartment went quiet. All eyes were glued to her but she never looked up once

"dunno, they're basically dead to me, and they won't approach me. They're too proud for that. When Tom and Lucy ran away, they basically pretended like they never existed at all." she shrugged

"But what about the Silvers line. Oh my god, what about the Black line?" Sirius exclaimed, suddenly aware that the pureblood supremacy namesake would end with their parents.

"huh, hadn't thought of that" Ara said in a thoughtful manner.

The rest of the boys didn't push the matter, knowing there was no point. And so, they fell back into their own conversations. Sirius had his legs rested on Remus' lap and Remus was playing with Sirius' shoelace. Peter was munching on his sweets, occasionally laughing at some jokes. And Ara remained laying James' lap. She liked the way his fingers felt in her hair. James stared down at the small girl. There was no denying the loss of his feelings towards a certain ginger over the summer. Sometimes people become obsessed with an idea and continue to pursue it over and over again because they don't know anything different.