Chapter 9

Friday, February 19th, 2021.

She paced the room back and forth, phone in her hand as she debated what she was surely about to do. She didn't need him, did she? He probably wouldn't even come over. He was probably busy with his wife. But if there was any chance.... No, she shouldn't.

He'd said she could, though. He'd said to message whenever, and he'd come to her as soon as he could.

This was ridiculous. She was a grown woman. She didn't need him. But oh, did she want him.

It had been a horrible day, and things just kept going wrong, one after the other. She needed to unwind, and he knew exactly how to help her with that. He hadn't been in the hospital today, it was his day off and she was able to handle things, sure, and there had been no casualty that she couldn't handle enough to have to call him in on his day off. But the number of times she was tempted to call him, just to see him - it was unhealthy.

She sat on the edge of the bed, and before she could stop herself, she found her fingers typing away a message to him. He could just ignore it if she were being too presumptuous. Tell her no if he were too busy. Him saying no was definitely the worst that could happen, and that wasn't all that bad. She could always sort herself out, go to a bar and find someone to take home. No-one knew how her body worked as well as he did, though. Well, maybe one other person, but she was unattainable right now, and Meredith didn't even want to see her again.

She set the phone on the bed beside her, not expecting a response back as she groaned softly and lay back on the mattress. When had it gotten this bad? When had it turned into not being able to go a single day without him? Just as she had closed her eyes, finding her fingers wandering down her middle as she thought about the way he touched her, the way he made her feel, her phone went off with a new message.

She sat up suddenly, as though someone had come into the room and caught her with her hand in her jeans. She grabbed the phone with a little too much eagerness as she read the message. He was coming over. He was on his way. He had been thinking about her all day. A chill ran through her as she read the words, and she found herself biting her lip as she replied to let him know she'd leave the front door unlocked, and that she was home alone, in her bedroom waiting for him.

She moved in front of the mirror, raking her fingers through her hair to tame it somewhat before giving up and just pulling it up into a mess on the top of her head. Her hands then smoothed out the t-shirt she wore, trying to decide on whether or not to just wait naked for him. She did like it when he undressed her, though...

She decided to keep the t-shirt on and just remove her jeans, dumping them in the laundry basket, before sitting cross-legged in the centre of the bed as she waited for him. Only the lamp on her bedside table and residual light from the streetlights illuminating her room.

As she waited for his appearance, she got up and started pacing the room again, glancing through the curtain every now and again for any evidence of his arrival. Not too long after, she saw the headlights of his car outside the house, pulling into her driveway. He never usually parked in the driveway if he came around, but she didn't think too much of it. She sat on the edge of the bed again, listening to the noise of the front door opening and closing again, his footsteps on the stairs.

When her bedroom door was pushed open, she looked to see him walking into her room, dressed as though he had been out somewhere formal, but she didn't remember him saying anything about plans. Then again, why would he?

He wore black dress pants, and a light blue shirt that looked like he'd just pulled a tie off it. Their eyes locked as he crossed the room to her and she stood to meet him, his lips immediately finding hers without a word. Her fingers tangled into his hair, pressing herself against him as his hands gripped at her waist, holding her there as their kiss continued.