Chapter 23

Saturday, 19th June 2021

The next morning, he went into the hospital early, only to be informed Meredith was already there and had been pulled in on an emergent craniotomy, and the Chief was observing her from the gallery – just the person he needed to see.

He made his way through to the gallery to find Dr Webber. He knew he was getting strange looks because he hadn't changed into his scrubs yet, but he had every intention of leaving as soon as he had spoken to Richard. His attention was initially drawn to the OR below where Meredith was working on the patient, and he could never get over just how delicate and precise she was with her movements, the concentration on her face blocking out any external distraction as she focused solely on the patient in front of her.

"I heard you were looking for me," he heard the voice of Richard Webber, who sat in the gallery alone.

Derek turned to look at him, "Yeah, I need some time off, a week, if possible."

"She came over last night, told us she was leaving at the end of next week," Richard commented, whilst nodding to acknowledge Derek's request, "She really is something, isn't she?"

"She's a very talented surgeon, best I've worked with in a long time," Derek murmured as he turned back to look at Meredith, operating below.

"I'll ask her to work until she leaves, if you really need the time away," Richard said after a moment and Derek moved to sit in the chair beside him.

"Thanks, Richard, I appreciate it," Derek said, running his fingers through his hair.

"Look, we know something has happened between you and Meredith. We don't know what exactly, but we know there is something, and I hope that isn't why she's chosen to move across the Atlantic for the foreseeable future," Richard said, getting straight to the point.

"I think there's more to it," Derek murmured, his breath catching slightly.

"Anyhow, Meredith runs. She goes away. But she always comes back, okay? And I really hope she comes back this time, if not for her mother's sake at least. Do what you need to do, but don't leave without trying one more time, okay?" Richard looked to him now.

"Thanks, Richard. I hope she comes back this time too," Derek nodded at Richard, "I have to get going. I'll be back next Friday."

"Travel safe, Derek," Richard said with a nod before Derek stood up, one last look to Meredith before walking out of the gallery.

He walked through the hospital with his hands stuffed in his pockets, facing the floor, and ignoring those around him as he headed out to his car. He would be back before she left, he promised himself that.

****

When Meredith left the scrub room, she found Richard waiting for her in the hallway looking like he needed to speak with her about something, but what she didn't know. The look on his face concerned her, though.

"What can I do for you, Dr Webber?" she asked him, a small smile on her face that didn't quite reach her eyes.

"Walk with me," he said, a gentle smile on his face as he fell into step with her. "Is everything okay?"

"Dr Shepherd is taking some personal leave for the next week, and I need you to fill in for him for his surgeries, you're the only I trust, and he trusts, to take them over. Are you okay working up until you leave?"

"Oh, erm, yeah I can, I have nothing else planned, I'm pretty much packed to go now," she said with another smile, a fake smile.

Derek was gone. Personal leave? He hadn't mentioned personal leave... that would explain why she had felt as though his gaze was on her part way through the surgery but he himself hadn't been there when she had a second to look up into the gallery. She had only seen Richard sat there and shook it off.