Prologue

FROM THE AUTHOR

Hell, if just one other person reads this whole thing I'll be bloody stoked. I kind of just thought about what I liked to read on Wattpad and irl and then just went for it. 

Sadly, no smut in this book :(. I know, what the hell! BOOOOOO! Just thought I'd give you the warning now so you don't get your hopes up. It'll still have it's moments though ;). PG 13 (ish).

Other than THAT major disappointment, I really do hope that whoever (whomever?) reads this enjoys it as much as I enjoyed writing and editing it. 

The characters are described to the best of my ability but of course, disregard the physical characteristics and picture whomever (whoever?) and whatever you want. 

~ ~ ~

It's dark outside. Dark enough that the stars are visible from the middle of the city. So dark, the man sitting on a bench in the middle of a public park doesn't even see a woman in sunglasses and a dark trench coat sitting down next to him until she's right beside him. He hides his surprise and clears his throat, quickly glancing around and squinting through the darkness to see if anyone else is around.

"If you want to look less suspicious, maybe ditch the sunglasses next time." He says with a straight face. She laughs with more politeness than genuine humor and tucks a strand of blonde hair behind her ear.

"Do you have the records?" She asks. The man reaches into his coat and pulls out a couple pieces of paper. Without asking, the woman reaches over and takes them out of his hands. As she's looking through them the man looks around the deserted park again, wondering who could be watching or listening. 

"Do you have my cash?" He asks in a quieter voice, hating himself for how desperate it sounded.

"Of course." The woman says. He looks back to see her folding the papers in half and sliding them into her trench coat before pulling out a thick roll of twenties. He takes it and puts it into his pocket without making eye contact. "We thank you very much for doing this," the woman says sweetly. "We really do appreciate the information."

"Well, information means a lot to people these days."

"It means a bit more to some people than other things do." She responds. The man can feel the weight of the cash in his pocket becoming heavier. The woman gets up and straightens out her coat before stating "We'll be in touch."

"Yes," the man says darkly. "I guess we will be."