Chapter 5

I could have just called Charlie or FaceTime-d her, but I'm not the biggest fan of FaceTime and I can't risk my dad overhearing our conversation so that's why I am currently walking my dog (small, white Pitbull with black spots), Rajah, while describing the whole story to my best friend. She's listening quietly, nodding and smiling and giggling every couple of words. Once I finish my story and untangle Rajah from his leash, I see Charlie staring at me with this weird smirk.

"I can't believe that you didn't let him kiss you." She states.

"Ugh, stop making fun of me," I say while cringing. I'm kind of cringing at myself as well. I mean, it was kind of stupid of me not to kiss him. Last night, I couldn't stop thinking about his gorgeous eyes and how much I wanted to move my hands through his soft-looking hair and just kiss him. Ugh! Why am I so stupid?

"It's just very on brand for you," She says. "You're so cute and innocent."

"Shut up and give me dating advice." I state in a whiny voice.

"Brooklyn, you give better dating advice than I do."

"That can't be true, I literally just went on my first date."

"Remember last year when I gave you my advice on how to get guys to notice you?" She asks with her eyebrows raised.

"No, what did you- oh yeah, you told me to suck a guy's dick." I say while pointing at her, impressed that I actually remembered something.

"Exactly, and did you take my advice?"

"No," I say.

"Why?" She asks, obviously leading up to something.

"...because sexual intimacy doesn't matter to me as much as emotional intimacy does?" I offer. She rolls her eyes at me.

"Why did you have to say it like that? No, the reason you didn't take my advice is because you and I are very different people who have different likes and dislikes when it comes to relationships and how we want them to go."

"Oh?" I say, kind of understanding where she's going but not liking it.

"I do what most people around me do. I go to parties when I shouldn't. I get drunk when I shouldn't. I send nudes when I shouldn't."

"Yeah, but that doesn't make you a bad person or a slut." I state.

"And it doesn't mean that you're a bad person if you don't go to parties or send nudes."

"Yeah, it makes me a loser and a prude." I say. Charlie literally slaps my arm. "Ow!"

"Listen, boys and dating and everything, yes everything that comes with it is a personal thing." She says. We walk onto a quieter side street with a small park and a playground. There are fewer streetlights and the darkness adds an ominous feeling juxtaposed by the sound of Rajah suddenly falling face-first onto the ground to roll in some leaves. I sigh at my dog, thinking about what my best friend is saying while she briefly pauses for dramatic effect. I frown deeper as she continues. "Even if the media has made it seem like every romantic relationship absolutely needs to involve sex and sex stuff, I'm telling you that it does not."

"But-"

"No!" She practically shouts. My eyes widen as I stare at her. "There are guys out there that want the exact same thing out of a relationship that you do. And I don't wanna hear that nonsense about everyone being the same because there are hundreds of very pretty boys that want you and will respect every boundary you set and will only find you more amazing for that fact." I just stare at her for a moment, take in everything she just said and sigh.