Chapter 29: Alex

I smile when I hear Shane hit the ground in agony. I didn't think she'd actually do it.

"You're quite young to have such a reputation in the drug business, Mr. Reeds." The lady says over her shoulder while leading me through what looks to be a working office.

"They started me off quite young." I say bitterly, but with enough respect that it's not impolite. I have to remind myself that I'm now representing the business and this lady is the only person who can control Brooklyn's safety.

"My condolences for the loss of your brother." She says before opening the door to a glass conference room. I follow her inside and sit down in the chair she gestures at. "It's a shame that you have to end things with my daughter's friend now that you're the new leader."

"Interim leader." I correct. "We're still looking for a full-time replacement."

"Oh, I assume Brooklyn Parell is the reason you aren't the replacement. How does that even work? I know her mother from volleyball games and she'd have a heart attack if she knew what her daughter was up to." The lady says while sitting down across from me.

"I thought I was here to discuss business." I say pointedly.

"Of course," She says. "You're probably wondering who I am and what I have to do with the Matthews' Drug Business. Well, I'm Jessica Anderson and I was recently put in charge of expanding the Matthews' Business into Alberta. If you didn't already know, the operation is based in Toronto and was founded eighty years ago by Paul and Richard Matthews. Since then, we've been expanding the business throughout Canada and have the number one Drug Operation in Ontario, Quebec and Manitoba. Our goal is to be number one in all twelve provinces and territories and while we have good representation in Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan, we are yet to get rid of the competition in the western provinces.

"The Reeds Drug Business is one of the biggest competitors in Alberta and I've been trying to find a way to get rid of it since I was put into this position a year ago. So when my daughter tells me that her best friend is dating one of the Reeds, I couldn't have asked for a better opportunity. Now, I knew that Jacob wouldn't have enough say in the business to get Michael to do anything. But then, my informant Shane told me how important she was to you and that's when I realized how valuable she really was. If I had succeeded in kidnapping Jacob and your precious Brooklyn that day back in December, the business would have been mine then and there."

I stare at her while she talks, realizing how stupid I was for falling for Brooklyn. I don't regret it, but I kind of do. It's because of me that Brooklyn's in constant danger and my family's business might fail. Brooklyn's the person I'm meant to be with but it seems too selfish to risk everything just to be with her. God, but she's so fucking worth it. But my family... They're family. But Brooklyn... She's Brooklyn.

"What do you want?" I ask when Jessica Anderson is done with her little monologue.

"Excuse me?"

"What are you asking for? Because if you think I'm going to trade my family's business and all of our important contacts for a girl, you're sadly mistaken." God, it feels like I'm cheating on Brooklyn when I say that.

"I thought-"

"You can try calling me on my bluff but it doesn't change the fact that Brooklyn Parell is just one person in my life. Are you gonna kill her? Torture her? Because I'm not the only person who cares about her and if you continue kidnapping and threatening to hurt her, you'll be declaring war with the biggest drug operation in western Canada." I say confidently while staring straight into her eyes. Her poker face is just as good as mine as she thinks about what I just said.