6 | Dinner

(please don't forget to comment and vote. thank you so much for all the support)

➵➵➵

"Wait for the signal and I'll meet you after dark. Show me the places where the others gave you scars. Now, this is an open-shut case. Guess I should've known from the look on your face. Every bait and switch was a work of art"

~ willow (evermore)

HANNAH

"So, that's hockey," I said, clasping my hands together. We were walking toward this small restaurant I'd come to love over the last four years. Matthew was being quieter than usual and I understood why.

I didn't think he'd heard me, but then he cracked a smile, throwing a glance in my direction. "Yes, it was. How'd you like it?"

"I think I started to catch on towards the end," I answered, maintaining eye contact, "but you were amazing."

"I'm glad you enjoyed it." His smile widened and it was almost blinding. "So, does this mean you will come to more games?"

"Yeah, that was fun," I shrugged, gesturing for him to turn left at an intersection. "Even if it means I have to buy you dinner."

He chortled. "Yeah, and it better be good, too. I'm missing a party for this."

I rolled my eyes and slightly pushed him. "You better stop before I change my mind and buy you water for dinner."

He let out a loud laugh. "Oh really? Just water?"

I nodded. "Mh-mmm. It won't even be Fiji."

"Oh, you wound me," he feigned a pained look only for a moment before grinning at me when I squinted my eyes in his direction. He let out a laugh at that before taking in his surroundings, "So, where are we going?"

"Oh! It's this amazing mom and pop's restaurant. I found them my first year and I've been coming ever since."

Something in his eyes brightened. "That good, huh?"

I nodded fast. "Absolutely. I mean, I would never admit this to my mom, but their mac and cheese is my favorite thing ever."

"Well, don't ever piss me off and you won't have to worry about your mom finding out about this," he shrugged.

I gasped. "That is rude! You're supposed to be my friend."

"Did you just friendzone me?"

I thought he was kidding, what with that huge grin on his face. "Hey, I'll give you permission to jump out of it whenever you want."

But his grin faltered a little at that, which made me think that wasn't the right thing to say. Was he being serious, then? I didn't have much time to contemplate the matter before he said, "Yes, I like that much better."

And of course, my heart galloped into my throat. "Alright then," I said, hoping he didn't hear the shake in my voice, "now that we have settled that. This is it," I pointed to the restaurant with the baby blue outside walls.

"The number one mac and cheese place in the world?"

I smiled. "To everyone but my mom, yes."

He leaned in. "Of course. I'll keep your secret." And when we reached the door, he opened it and let me go first.

One of the owners, Mrs. Marshall, saw me immediately and gave me a huge smile. "Hannah, what are you doing here so late?"

I pointed at Matthew. "I owe him dinner."