Chapter 8: If You Can't Stand The Heat

Thursday, May 23th

Afternoon 12:40 pm.

Its' Thursday, Mr. Grace requested us to a party for his daughter tonight. But that was tonight. I woke in the living room, covered in popcorn. I brushed myself off, covering the carpet in kernels. I quickly got a shower and got dressed. I forgot to do laundry yesterday, so I was paying for it by having to do it today. I threw in a load and retired to the office to work on the case. I left the case file on the desk over night, thought it might need to air out.

I opened the file where I scribbled the family members name in a list. I would have to question everyone at the party. I can't leave any person unquestioned. Also, since I was going alone, I thought it might be a good idea to ask my sidekick on what to do. Keith worked at the department, so being bright and early should be their title, right? The cell phone rang out in the police department. The department was filled with officers on or off duty, typing away on their computers. Keith strolled back to his desk from what he called a bore-fest. He answered the phone.

"Lieutenant Keith, Homicide."

"Hey sidekick, learn anything new?" I asked.

"Mike?!" said Keith, jumping into his chair. "I totally forgot about you, what have you been up to. I saw you with Logan last night. Did you help catch him?"

"More of being used as bait."

"What?"

"Never mind, so have you found anything out on Mr. Wills."

"Not much, Mike, you need to stop looking into this. The police are working full force on it after Richard was shot. Charlie is being convicted of it all, for an easy wrap up. The mayor seemed quite pleased about this."

"Why would the mayor care?"

"The mayor is a personal friend to Mr. Grace's family, they helped pay for his campaign for the election."

"When was this?"

"After his wife died two years ago. Why?"

"Was it before they moved?"

"Uh... checking... it says they moved in after the reelection. Weird."

"Not weird, suspicion. Mr. Wills was going bankrupt. After moving into their mansion, the money just appeared."

"Appeared?! Are you saying the mayor could be tied into this?"

"I don't know yet. But, if he wanted a speedy clean up using Charlie as the sponge-"

"They wouldn't looking into the matter. Mike if you know who really did this, say something."

"I'm getting there. Tonight, at the party, I will find out who it is, by following Mr. Wills every move. If he leaves to pay off the blackmailer, I will catch him."

"And if he has a weapon."

"I will scream at the top of my lungs."

"Glad to know you won't lose your cool."

"I have no cool to lose. Now I'm going to need your help tonight."

"Mike, I'm on patrol tonight, you know that. Or have you forgotten the thousands of times you called me before. Plus the Captain will be interrogating Charlie later on."

"Alright, alright, I get it. Can I at least count on you to watch my back?"

"How? The mayor will be at the party. I have to keep quiet that I ever helped you."