Chapter 19: The Aftermath

Monday, May 26th

3:00 pm. Afternoon

It had been over a day before we received a call from Detective Shayne. The Commissioner wanting to see us. We returned to the police force and back down the seeming endless hallway once more. We soon reached the front door where the Commissioner was talking to the Mayor and laughing. The secretary waved us by to go in. Detective Shayne was leaning on a file cabinet, laughing along. You couldn't really tell were the scars were on his smiling face. After the laughter died down we all took a seat.

"It has comes to my attention that you were working on a case out of your jurisdiction. I have been noted several times that one of my officers was in contact with you during the case. Now-" said The Commissioner.

"Uh, Commissioner Trevon," interjected the voice from the telephone.

The Commissioner pressed one of the buttons on his desk's phone.

"Yes? I'm rather busy here Sondra," said The Commissioner.

"Hes' here to see you," stated Sondra.

"Thank you, send him in," ordered The Commissioner.

Keith stepped through the door, holding his badge and gun in his hands.

"You wanted to see me sir?" asked Keith.

"Yes, please take a seat," said The Commissioner. "Once again... Oh, yes, one of my officers was contacting you about personal information on the case you didn't have. Now, I can't leave that alone now can I, Mayor?"

"Not as long as I'm here," said The Mayor.

"Thank, Bauman. Glad I voted for you," I said.

"Cute, very cute, Kid," said The Mayor.

"Can I go on? So with the full penalty of the law, you have to turn in you're badge. Keith?!" barked The Commissioner.

"Here sir," said Keith, placing his badge and gun on the Commissioners' desk.

"Now besides that... I have another message I was suppose to read, but someone spilled coffee on it," The Commissioner, looking over at Detective Shayne.

"Could happen to anybody," explained Detective Shayne.

"So, the review board has given you more time to present a better defense. Both the Mayor and I have given our review. But the board will still have the hearing... in a few months."

"Wait, we're Private investigators?!" I said cheerfully.

"Sorry, but with both our votes to appeal, the board wants you to star out smaller. As much as it pains me, you settled the last case nicely, wouldn't have had anything on the guy, but next time, catch him before the firework show."

"We're a group again!?" I said.

"Not quit. You will be brought in as private consultants for the time being," exclaimed The Mayor.

"So, what does that mean for us?" asked Jeremy.

"It means you aren't P.Is' but can still work on cases for the police," explained Detective Shayne.

"But what about getting us our license back?" I dramatically asked.

"This is better in the long run, trust me," The Mayor smirked.

Bu-... ugh-h!" I yelped.

"Relax Mike!" said Logan, "At least I don't have to sleep at the bar anymore."

"I guess," I answered.

"Well Keith, what about you, the question still stands, you interested in joining?" asked Jeremy.