Stay with me (2021)

Inspired by the lo-fi song: Stay with me by KERUSU

The first time he played me a song. He was so nervous. It was a rainy night and I was in his room, in his apartment, you could hear the sounds from the train station nearby. It was perfect.

The beginning of the song was slow and melancholy, but it was beautiful. He was an expert on the piano, long, nimble fingers flying over the keys. His head was bent down in concentration and a lock of dark hair fell over his eyes. He looked so beautiful and yet so sad. I wished I could take away all his sadness and see his goofy smile every moment, and not just on rare occasions.

The rain in the background intensified, a nice contrast to the slow pace of his melody. He reached the bridge, playing only a repetitive set of keys with no background. Thunder rumbled in the distance.

Then, the beat dropped and the strong melody continued. I realized I was holding my breath. This song was so...him. Much like his room: dim, with splashes of neon purple and yellow. Sad, but with potential for great joy.

I heard the song slowly come to an end. And when he played the last note, the room was in total silence, even the rain seemed to quiet down, as if it were part of the song. A train passing by broke the silence and my trance as I realized he was waiting for my reaction.

"That was ... amazing" I said breathlessly, "What is it called?"

"Stay with me" He whispered, avoiding my eyes, so low I almost didn't catch it.

I was surprised, did I dare to imagine that the song was for me? That he didn't want me to ever leave him? Yes, I did. And I hoped with everything in me that he knew that I wasn't  going anywhere.