Chapter 18

Alice was hungry. Ravenous even. 

Over the last week she had made rabbit and opossum helper, black bean brownies with cocoa powder, canned pork and beans, tuna casserole, canned cheese, anything and everything she was craving and could get her hands on. The mess hall didn't offer many options and it wasn't quite as easy to fulfill her cravings. The things she'd be willing to do for some oreos or a cinnabon were downright outrageous. That was to be expected when you're growing an entire human being inside your body. It had been hard on her at first, getting used to all the symptoms and the moodiness. Joel tolerated her fairly well and did his best to hold his tongue, choose his battles wisely and appease Alice as best as he could. He knew with a baby on the way he better get used to dealing with her scorn sooner or later.

Alice was 8 and a half months now and she hadn't been sleeping at all the past few weeks. 

Joel was out on a run and could be back at any time within the next couple of days. Alice finally decided to officially move in with Joel, leaving the house she had shared with Buzz and Jacob. She still wasn't able to go into Jacob's room since the incident so Buzz had offered to clear it out for her. Joel's house was nice. It was a smaller ranch style house across the road. There was a woodwork room for Joel to work on his guitars and statuettes, an enclosed porch that wrapped around the side of the house and a garage out the back that housed Ellie. 

Alice knew that having this baby wouldn't be easy without modern medicine, no epidurals or anything but she knew that after everything she had been through, childbirth would be a piece of cake. Women had done it for thousands of years without doctors or hospitals. She knew that there was always a possibility. 

However, the closer she got to her due date, the more she began to worry. What if she died? How could she leave Joel with a child? He had been through enough in his life. As wonderful as he had been with Ellie, Dina, Jacob and even Sarah, from what she had heard, he had reservations about fatherhood at his age. He tried to hide it from Alice, but deep down she knew. She tried not to let her mind wander to those thoughts anymore.

Danny was coming to their house that morning for Alice's check up. Earlier Alice had baked fresh corn bread muffins, mixing together honey butter and steeping tea as a treat before she arrived.

"I'm glad he's here an all but, I still think we'd be able to do it fine on our own," Joel sneered, leaning over the counter, trying to dip his little pinky into the bowl of honey butter.

"Oh shush Joel! We should be happy to have him! You're gonna be kissin' his ass when he's pulling this baby outta me 'cause without him you'd be scared shitless and probably would be the one havin' to do it," she smirked at him, knowing this entire experience was way out of his comfort zone.

"You're suppose ta do that. Cuss and damn me to hell for knockin' you up in the first place,"

"I like to tell myself it's gonna be this beautiful, magical experience and he'll pop right out wide awake and smiling, eyes open and everything," Alice mused, "but I know I'll be mad as hell and he'll be crying and screaming and covered in gunk. But until that day comes, let's stick with my fantasy, okay?"

"Whatever you say," Joel rolled his eyes as she compiled the tea and cornbread on a tray and handed it to him to carry to the table.

The door rapped a few times before Danny appeared in front of the screen door. "Yo Doc!" 

"Let yourself in, Danny! I've got some cornbread and tea here for us while we talk,"

"Oh nice! Thank you," Danny said as he came in and helped himself to some tea.