Chapter 21

A/N: this is a loooooong one but we've got a lot to get through! I don't want to keep this going forever so I'm expecting 5 or 6 more chapters at most! Also, check my lil reference to my other TLOU fic, Everything You Left Behind, by referencing Sarah's mom Beth Evans! ;) 

Anyway, enjoy and thank you guys for all the support on this fic! I just love Joel and wanted to give him the love he deserves! I read about Esther yesterday and how she was cut from the game. I knew about her from One Night Live but did you know they had planned to make her get bitten too?? How much misery can you heap on one poor man?! 

~

The snow was so white against the night sky. It almost sparkled as they walked, arm in arm. The music coming from the church drifted out towards them as they approached, making Alice smile. Joel watched with a grin as she skipped around in front of him, dancing as flakes of snow fell from the heavens. Her hair was sprinkled with white, flowing around her as she danced. She looked like an angel. The sweet sound of her voice, giggling, filled the cold night air.

She had to be an angel, Joel thought. There was no other explanation. So innocent and pure, and beautiful. Especially like that, hair decorated in white, her feet practically floating over the dusting of snow, cheeks flushed from the cold and his coat hanging loosely over her small frame.

"Joel, come on!" Alice tugged his arm, laughing. "Dance with me!"

A soft chuckle escaped him as he shook his head. Alice smiled before she turned her attention back to the snow, sticking out her tongue to try and catch a snowflake.

"It's so beautiful tonight," she said, returning to his side. "I never thought anything could be beautiful these days!"

"That's what I thought when I first met you," Joel murmured, pressing a soft kiss below her ear and making her giggle before he pulled away.

They reached the door of the church, where Bethan greeted them with a smile. She took their coats and they headed into the main room. There were fairy lights hung from the roof and they illuminated the joy on everyone's faces. Alice smiled as she watched lovers dance with each other, parents dance with their children and school kids dance with their friends. It felt weirdly normal, for once.

"Drink?" Joel asked, his hand resting on the small of her back.

"Whatever you're having is good," Alice smiled as he headed towards the bar. She found Tommy and Maria sitting at a table nearby and sat down beside them.

"Hey momma! First night out since Luke's arrival?" Maria smiled. "How old is he now, four months?"

"Six months actually! And yep!" she laughed. "I rarely stay up past 9pm these days so this is a very rare treat. Kelly has him for the night so we might even have some fun later," Tommy almost spat out his drink as Joel returned with a grin.

"Didn't need to know that bit," Tommy spluttered, turning bright red as Maria laughed.

"She's a rockstar," Joel smiled, resting his hand on Alice's thigh and squeezing gently. "For her first baby, she's an incredible mom."

The group sat and chatted for a while, enjoying the chilled atmosphere and the band playing soft bluegrass in the corner. They began playing a slightly slower song and Alice grinned. She took a sip from her drink before she turned to Joel and took his hand.

"Hey, come dance with me?" Alice smiled, pulling him to his feet. 

Joel took a swig of his drink before following Alice onto the dancefloor. She wrapped her arms around his neck and rested her head on his chest as they began to sway to the gentle banjo.