Chapter 22

Alice found Joel sitting on the decking outside the daycare, head in his hands. She padded over to him and sat down wordlessly. She wrapped an arm around his shoulders, rubbing small circles to try comfort him as best she could. The only noise coming from the church behind them and the soft chatter of people stumbling home.

"She didn't mean it," Alice murmured. "You were only trying to look out for her. She knows that."

"Mhm..."

"Come on, let's get our boy and go home," she said, getting to her feet. "You'll get frostbite sitting out here for too long."

They went into the nursery and Joel scooped a sleepy Luke into his arms as Alice signed him out with Kelly. They made their way back to the house without saying a word, lost in their own thoughts. They trudged around the back of the house and onto the porch. Alice stopped before they headed inside and softly tugged Joel's arm until he stopped in front of her.

"Hey," Alice murmured, resting her hand on his cheek. "You know you didn't do anything wrong, right? She's your baby girl. You want to make sure she's safe." Alice stroked his cheek softly as her eyes traced the lines, scars and burns that peppered his skin. Sometimes, Alice forgot that they weren't young kids anymore. She linked eyes with Joel before she chuckled to herself.

"...what's so funny?" Joel mumbled.

"Seth's an asshole," she huffed out a laugh before she planted a kiss on his nose. He laughed and the tension was suddenly broken. The pair separated and Joel followed Alice into the house. "Coffee?"

"Mhm..." Joel said. "Thanks." He made his way upstairs to put Luke to bed. He lovingly placed him in the crib and tucked him in before he headed back downstairs.

"He go down okay?" Alice asked, looking up from the stove. Joel nodded, leaning against the counter. Alice noticed him eyeing up the guitar in the corner of the kitchen.

"I can take it out to you if you want some time to think?" She smiled softly. Joel got to his feet and grabbed the guitar. He walked over to where Alice stood and rested his free hand on her hip. He pressed a soft kiss to her cheek before burying his head in the crook of her neck; nipping and kissing the tender skin and making Alice yelp and giggle. She reached up and rested a hand on the back of his head, running a hand through his salt-and-pepper hair.

"I love you," Joel murmured. "So much."

"I love you too," Alice smiled. The pair stood together in the silence of the kitchen, finally broken apart by the whistle of the kettle. "Go on. I'll bring it out to you."

Joel turned and headed back out to the porch, closing the door behind him. Alice made Joel's coffee in his favourite mug. She poured herself a mug and added one spoon of sugar before heading outside. Joel was sat in one of the white plastic chairs, absentmindedly strumming. She placed the mugs down on the table and sat down in the chair opposite him.

"Dancin' in the dark, middle of the night," Joel sang, making Alice smile. "Taking your heart and holding it tight."

"Oh shush Tim McGraw," she laughed. "I'm Canadian. I never listened to any of your Texas cowboy singers!"

"You still knew who he was though," Joel smirked, sipping his coffee. He went back to absentmindedly plucking chords as the pair looked out over the back garden.

"Y'know, I like this salt-and-pepper hair you've got going on," Alice said after a moment. "The longer hair kinda suits you."

"Oh really?" Joel raised an eyebrow, grinning. "Good to know."

"Mhm," Alice smirked. "Kinda hot."

"The 'i-don't-own-a-pair-of-clippers' look is hot to my fiance," Joel chuckled. "I'll keep that in mind."

"Fiance," Alice smiled as she looked at the sparkling ring on her finger. "I almost forgot that happened tonight."

"Me too," he replied. "I vote we have clickers as the bridal party." Alice nearly spat out her coffee before she burst out laughing.

"Can you imagine?" she giggled. "A shambler as the celebrant?"

They drifted back into a comfortable silence and after a few moments and a sip of coffee, Joel turned his attention back to his guitar. Alice took another sip as she saw someone appear in her peripheral vision. She looked over to the steps of the porch and smiled as she saw Ellie. The guitar stopped not long after.

"Hey Ellie," Alice smiled gently, getting to her feet. "I'm gonna go check on Luke." She padded back to the door, squeezing Joel's shoulder softly before she disappeared into the house.

"Hey," Joel murmured, putting the guitar down as Ellie walked over to the banister.

Alice closed the door and headed back into the kitchen to clean up her mug. She desperately wanted to listen in and see what was said but she knew this was something Ellie and Joel had to work through on their own. She headed upstairs to wash her face and get ready for bed. After she tied up her hair, Alice grabbed their hot water bottles and timidly headed downstairs to fill them up with water. Everything was completely silent as she reached the kitchen, setting the kettle on the stove.

Suddenly the back door burst open, making Alice jump. She peered around the doorframe where she saw Joel propping himself up against the wall with one arm and rubbing his eyes with the other. His shoulders were heaving but he was completely silent.

"...baby?" Alice murmured, taking a tentative step towards him. "Joel?"

All at once, he let everything out. He began to sob as Alice took him in her arms. She held him as best she could, stroking his hair and mumbling little words of comfort. Ellie was one of the only people who Joel would give his life to protect, the others being Alice and Luke. Either Ellie had cemented what she told him at the party or...

"She...she w-wants to..." he stammered. "She wants to try and forgive me."

"That's fantastic," Alice smiled softly. "I knew she would. Ellie tries so hard to see the good in everyone. She's a really great kid."

"I...I," Joel mumbled. "She..."

Alice chuckled softly as she stepped back, resting her hands on his cheeks and wiping tears from his eyes. Joel just stopped trying to figure out what he was trying to say and just enjoyed her touch. She smiled softly and kissed his nose before she spoke.

"Let's go to bed," she whispered. "It's been a long day."

Alice took Joel's hand and wordlessly led him upstairs to their bed. She climbed under the covers as Joel got undressed. He slid under the covers beside her and she took him into her arms as best she could. Rubbing small circles into his shoulder blades, Alice dozed off with her fiance in her arms.