Qualifier 2: Pikachu VS Fox McCloud

In the pitch blackness of the empty universe, a sliver of light splits through the shadows

In the pitch blackness of the empty universe, a sliver of light splits through the shadows. And out of this crack in the universe, a building began to rise, it's outer walls scraping against the fabric of reality as the lights inside slowly flickered on floor by floor. Ten stories tall, the base of the Saffron City Silph Co. building continued shimmering as it sat in the rift of reality. Beside it, two more buildings began to rise, smaller, and lacking the guardrails of Silph Co.. A small sun crackling above it all illuminated the city skyline that slowly appeared on the horizon, small construction platforms hovering over the roofs of the core three buildings that made up Qualifier 2's battlefield.

And when at last the stage was set, pillars of light spawned the combatants.

4

Fox drew his blaster, his targeting system headgear zeroing in on Pikachu.

3

Pikachu crouched, sparks shooting off of his cheeks as he charged his power.

2

They had determined that going over the edge wouldn't kill them.

1

But Fox wasn't so sure it wasn't a fight to the death.

GO!

First thing Fox did was activate his reflector which repelled most energy attacks. He'd been paying attention when the Captain introduced Pikachu as an Electric Mouse, and he was glad he did. Pikachu fired a bolt of lightning the second the match began, striking Fox's energy shield. Fox shut it off and fired from his blaster almost simultaneously.

The blast hit Pikachu dead on, sparking through him. It did almost nothing.

Fox smiled. So, they aren't letting us play at full strength. His blaster should have ripped through a creature as small as Pikachu, and instead it did little more than push him back. Which means I can go all out!

Fox jumped back, rapid firing. But Pikachu's agility was high, and he managed to dodge most of the shots. That didn't seem to be what Fox cared about though, he was using the blasts as a way of gaining distance. He jumped up onto one of the construction platforms, rising over the battlefield.

Pikachu gave chase, running down the ramped section of the Silph Co. roof. Fox was currently out of reach in physical distance, but Pikachu was a ranged fighter, same as Fox. If Fox thought distance would help him, he was sorely mistaken. Pikachu launched into the air under the platform Fox was on and called down lightning from above.

It struck Fox dead on before he could react. He'd been so busy working on his own plan and watching Pikachu, he didn't think to watch the sky. And on top of that, Pikachu's lightning strike dropped the platform, and Fox crashed into the ground beside Pikachu, dangerously close to the edge of the roof.