Successors: Link VS Donkey Kong

In the cold of dead space, a point of light blinked to life

In the cold of dead space, a point of light blinked to life. Creaking, a plank of wood stretched through it and began unfolding out into a line of planks. Altogether it formed an old bridge, structure bolting in beneath it. A tired rope ran the length of either side, and a palm tree grew on either end of the bridge.

Completed, the bridge sagged in the middle, but held. The whole thing was lit by an artificial sunset, casting wicked shadows across the whole of it. Crates and barrels were stacked beneath the palm trees, and silhouettes of jungle trees lined the horizon.

4

DK had dreaded his fight with Link, after seeing what he had done to Samus. But now things were different. He knew Link would still be more than a match for him, but he didn't feel like he needed to stress about having his skull caved in. Now he just needed to worry about being stabbed... but, friendly.

3

Link had looked forward to fighting DK, if only because he wanted to get it over with. But now things were different. DK was nothing compared to the monsters he's fought, but he couldn't go all out here, not anymore. These fighters weren't just stepping stones, he couldn't fight them like Ganondorf's minions. He had to fight... but, friendly.

2

Link and DK stood at either end of the bridge, just behind the lines of the shadows cast by the palm trees. The lights that summoned them here disappeared, and the match was about to begin.

1

The sun was setting behind the silhouettes on the horizon. It was end of the day here. And for one of them, it was also the end of their part in the tournament. This time for good.

GO!

___

Mario, Samus, Pikachu and Kirby gathered around the smaller screen in the analysis lab. There they saw again the image of Mother Brain's flagship, wicked and evil, with no idea how close it was or which direction it was coming from.

"It kinda exists everywhere all at once," Emerald explained. "Like pretty much everything else here. There's no metric or imperial systems outside of all realities. All I can tell is that it's here, and they could be on us at any moment."

"Does it have a weakness?" Samus asked. "Does Light Base have any exterior weapons? Can we shoot this thing down?"

"Down's relative," Emerald joked. No one was impressed. "*Ahem*... Ah, no Light Base doesn't have weapons. To be fair, we weren't expecting them to come after us. Didn't know they could. We thought we left them behind."

"Well they're here," Mario huffed. "Can't'cha jus' add weapons t' this place? Th' way Captain an Morgana built it from scratch?"

"Not really," Emerald answered. "Construction was more Morgana's job. Captain worked to get you guys, and I'm just the smartest piece of AI tech ever conceived."