Prelude: Kirby

Star Warriors

Star Warriors.

They are a race of intergalactic, shape-shifting heroes with incredible magical properties. Initially shapeless, these heroes grow to be guardians who watch carefully over the cosmos, guiding and protecting it's inhabitants. Unheard, unseen, these heroes lurk just beyond the reach of stars, waiting until their time of need.

That is what they were meant to be... However, in the many years since their conception, they have become more egotistical. They seek glory in their fights, they seek challenges. No longer do they care for the protection of the people, but rather a worthy opponent with power equal to theirs. Eventually they began to fight amongst themselves, bickering about who was stronger, meanwhile letting their realms rot.

Villainy seeped into the hearts of many, and with no light to guide them, the galaxy became a dark place. Cruelty above all, money and power; these are the things mortal kind seek. They have become corrupted, just like the heroes who were meant to guide them.

But not all hope is lost, there are those who the darkness has not reached. Kind people, with pure hearts. They are the downtrodden, those who suffer under the cruel leadership, but they do exist.

Though, without a true champion to fight for them... how long must they wait, until they have freedom at last?

Not long at all, as it would seem, for a new hero, one with no knowledge of the realms the Star Warriors protect, has been born. But this hero was separated from the others, or perhaps created apart from the rest, in secret.

Whatever the circumstances of this hero's birth, the cosmos would thank them one day, for this hero was destined for great things.

For now however, the young hero would rest. On an isolated world, this hero would grow, unaware of their true identity.

___

In the farthest corner of the sky, there is a small world orbiting a bright star. The world is called, PopStar, and it's largest country is a place only recently civilized, full of rolling hills and flowing rivers and dense forests. This place is called Dreamland, and deep in the forests of Dreamland, there is a fountain.

It is a sacred fountain the local residents call the Fountain of Dreams. They protect it, care for it, and keep it safe, for in their sleep the Fountain of Dreams watches over them. It keeps them from bad dreams, and lets them sleep in peace. The mystical power of this fountain is the only thing keeping darkness out of the hearts of those in Dreamland.

Or at least, it does to those who believe.

But one day, a great evil sets his eyes on the Fountain of Dreams, and the fabled Star Rod that sits upon it. For now, it kept him away, but soon... soon he would have its power, and corrupt the last of those in Dreamland. So he waited... and he waited... and at last his strength overpowered the Star Rod and its magic had finally begun to wane... But just before he could reach it...