Prelude: Pokemon

Brett sat at the  computer, looking at multiple screens as he tried to find a very  specific hero

Brett sat at the computer, looking at multiple screens as he tried to find a very specific hero. There was a story that was built different from the rest. It was filled with it's own sub-universes. For the most part, at this point, they were all nearly depleted, the great cataclysm having already effected them. But one of them had to have the hero he was looking for.

The world of Pokemon, seemingly copied over itself a couple thousand times. It was like images overlaid on top of each other, and even as he flipped through them they were disappearing. But just when he was reaching the last worlds connected by a winding cord of digital space, he found one that had what he needed.

Brett stepped away from the computer, opening a door and walking out onto the top of a tall city building. The group of children standing near the edge hadn't noticed him yet, bickering about maps and locations. Most likely they were lost, and while Brett felt a little bad for them he knew that in mere moments it wouldn't matter.

Besides, it wasn't them he needed to focus on, but the little yellow creature on the young boy's shoulder.

Brett knelt a bit, pulling out a bottle of ketchup and motioning for the creature to come to him. It's ears perked up, and in it's curiosity, hopped down from the boy's shoulder. Luckily the boy hadn't noticed. Brett patted the creature's head, handing it the bottle. "Hello, Pikachu," Brett smiled. "I've got a mission for you, think you can handle it?"

Pikachu pulled off the cap of the bottle with his teeth and started lapping at the ketchup.

"... Em, the computer said he could understand me," Brett said quietly, watching the children out of the corner of his eye.

"He can," Em answered. "Up close I can tell from here this particular Pikachu shows signs of great intelligence."

"You're sure?" Brett asked.

"Would I lie at a time like this?" Em scoffed.

Pikachu narrowed his eyes in suspicion of the glowing device attached to Brett's belt.

"Would you mind if I showed you something?" Brett asked Pikachu as he moved back towards the door of light. "Trust me."

Pikachu looked back at the children, skeptical of leaving them behind.

"They can't come with," Brett said sadly. "But if you come with me I can explain everything."

Pikachu hesitated, but held tight to the bottle of ketchup and hobbled towards the door. He entered, looking around at the dark room with the bright screens. Each of them depicted different parts of the world, or the world as a whole, and Pikachu couldn't make sense of any of it.

"These are copies of your world," Brett explained. "And they're all being erased."

"Pika?" Pikachu tilted his head in suspicion.

"Yes, even yours," Brett nodded. He looked out the door for a moment before returning his attention to the screens. "Your world, and everyone else's. I need your help to save them."

Pikachu jumped up onto the console, getting a closer look at the screens. He realized that each world was nearly the same, only minor differences, and one by one they all blinked out of existence. Suddenly a mass of them disappeared all at once before the process slowed again. Shocked, Pikachu looked up at Brett, confused and uncertain. "Pikaaa..."

Brett shook his head. "You possess great power," he told him, patting his head. "And apparently a greater understanding than most of your kind. Your friends are in danger, but if you agree to come with me, you can help them and everyone else."

Pikachu considered his options, looking at the door for a moment before looking down at himself.

"I believe you're more than capable," Brett assured him. "The readings show you're quite powerful for someone your size."

Pikachu looked up at Brett with a face of determination, electricity sparking off his red cheeks.

Brett smiled. "Good," he closed the door of light, motioning for Pikachu to follow him out to the hall. "I'd like you to meet the rest of the heroes now."

Pikachu hopped off the console, walking beside Brett.

Unbeknownst to them, while the door had still been open and they weren't paying attention, a straggler had crossed through the door. A curious little creature, small, pink and round. Marker in hand, it watched Brett and Pikachu walk away.

___

Ash Ketchum tossed the map in the air out of frustration. "It's no use! I can't tell any of the landmarks apart!"

Brock frantically grabbed the map before the wind took it over the edge of the low wall. "Well, I'm sure if we just ask around, someone will know where we're going."

Ash spun in a circle for a second, looking lost.

"Do you need a map to find your way off the roof?" Misty teased.

"N-no!" Ash huffed. "Did either of you see where Pikachu went?"

"What?" Misty looked around. "I thought he was with you, like always."

"Guys!" Brock pointed at the sky. "What's that!?"

Ash and Misty looked up, and it was easy to find what Brock was talking about. Suddenly the sky was getting very dark, and soon all light was gone. What's worse was that there wasn't even a moon or stars in the sky. It was pitch black.

"What's going on!" Ash panicked. "Pikachu! Where are you!?"

These were probably the final words spoken from this world, as it disappeared from the universe entirely.

________________________________________________________________________________

Pokemon

I've always felt Pikachu in the original Smash Bros was underrated. And as the series progresses, he's overshadowed by a lot of newer characters. Most of what little story there is in Smash Bros tends to focus on the "Main Characters" of Mario, or Kirby, with Link and Samus close behind. And while I still see plenty of people using the rest of the cast-- even Ness and Jigglypuff-- I see Pikachu less and less.

It's just strange to me.