Chapter-15

Veronica said, "As per the rules, I will go in alone. The darkness is about to fade and there is time for the sun to rise. You both stand here and wait for me. If you don't see me before afternoon just consider me dead and you both leave from here." Vernon hugged Veronica and started crying, "I love you Veronica! I love you! I will miss you sister." Veronica also had tears in her eyes. "Take care of mom and dad and always stay strong Vernon.", said Veronica in a low tone. Jasmine hugged her and said, "Don't worry Veronica. All will be well. I am sorry for I bullied you so much and you are going to this extent to help me. Sorry Veronica."

Veronica bid farewell to them and went inside. The darkness was fading. She saw a big black monster going inside the well. She went there and looked around the tree. She saw a big hole in the trunk of the banyan tree. She put her hands inside the hole and two lizards crawled on her hands. She was scared. She wanted to shout but she controlled herself. She pulled out a dusty leaf file and opened it. She saw a chain letter. A date was written on it with blood - '20 February 20XX'. It was not her letter. She turned it. She saw another letter dated '17 February 20XX'. She thought to herself, "Today is 22 February. The letters are arranged date wise maybe. My letter would be between 14 February 20XX as that was the day when Anthony died on Valentine's day party and 8 February 20XX as that was the day when I wrote this letter. It was propose day that day. She started looking through the letters 22, 21, 20, 19, 18, 17, 16, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 09, 08,.... her letter was not found. She looked through the files again and again but couldn't find her letter. She put her hands in the hole when something bit her nails, "Ouch", she said. She saw her fingers. It was bleeding. Her nails became red due to blood.

On seeing her coloured nails something struck her mind. It was when she saw Vernon's nail painted yellow. Then she remembered what she saw and heard at aunt Rosalind's cottage.

FLASHBACK-

Jasmine and Veronica reached aunt Rosalind's cottage without any appointment. Aunt Rosalind asked them to wait. That time she was sitting with a couple. The couple told her that they gave birth to quadruplets first. They knew they can't take care of 4 kids altogether so threw two of them in a river and the next day the rest two kids died. Second time they gave birth to triplets. They threw one of them in the river and the rest two again died. Aunt Rosalind listened to them and said, "The souls of together born kids be it twins, triplets or quadruplets are connected. Sometimes they share a common soul that the death of one of them leads to the death of the rest of the kids. After growing up these kids don't die on death of their sibling but still it gets difficult to differentiate their soul. No priest, no saint have the power to differentiate their souls." The couple thanked her for the advice and left. Veronica was listening to their conversations carefully.

FLASHBACK ENDS.

"It is very difficult to differentiate the souls of together born kids...." "Why would I apply nail polish am I a girl..." "I will strangle this cheater Jasmine's neck Veronica. I can't let you go there....." "I wanted to beat Daniel and make Jasmine mine forever...." "Your brother is madly in love with Jasmine...." "Vernon paid me to secretly make him a expert swimmer...." "Jasmine rejected him..." These voices started to bang in Veronica's head.

"Is my brother a murderer? Then Jasmine is in danger." Veronica said to herself and ran to save Jasmine's life. The sun was about to rise. Veronica ran to the temple gate and saw that both Vernon and Jasmine were missing. She then heard a noise, "Aaahhhhh.... Someone help..." Veronica ran toward the sound and saw Vernon had tied Jasmine to a tree and he was strangling her neck with a rope. "Vernon! Leave her.", Veronica shouted. Vernon was shocked seeing Veronica there.

Note: Whatever I wrote about twins is not at all true. I just wrote it so that I could connect these murders to Vernon and so that Veronica gets a hint about her brother being a murderer.

And how did you like the chapter. Finally the mystery is out. If you liked please show your support by vote and comment.