five

『 five 』

AISHA AND NATALIE MET UP at the mini mall to sign up for karate two weeks after the new year began. Natalie was happy waiting for Aisha's mom to give her the "okay". Natalie's mom had been on board since the first mention, on her seventeenth birthday back in December. 

Leila agreed to any suggestion of any after school activities ever since Natalie dropped out of the swim team. In her mother's words, "being in activities makes it look like I actually know what I'm doing as a parent." Natalie wasn't complaining. 

She opened the door and entered, Aisha close behind. She immediately spotted Miguel; he was the only student to spot. 

"Yoga's not til four, no matter how bad you need it," the sensei told them. 

"We're actually here for karate," Aisha said. Miguel waved at them. 

"We saw your website, and it said there was a session today," Natalie explained. 

Sensei Lawrence shook his head. "Well, I appreciate you coming in, but there are no girls in Cobra Kai."

"And why not?" Natalie crossed her arms in indignation. 

"Same reason there aren't women in the army. It just doesn't make sense."

Miguel sighed and tapped Sensei Lawrence's arm. "I need to talk to you in your office," he muttered. They gave the two girls bows of respect and walked into the office. 

"Where the hell has that man been in the past two decades?" Natalie whispered. Aisha shrugged. 

They hadn't closed the door. The girls could still hear a bit of what they were discussing. From inside the office, Johnny Lawrence sat on his desk. "Now don't give me any of that sexist bullshit. Women are not meant to fight. They have tiny, hollow bones."

"Aren't you desperate for new students?" Miguel asked. 

"Yes. But this isn't a knitting class, this is a dojo."

"We're low on money, right? Aisha and Nat are paying customers!" Miguel argued. The girls could clearly hear him say that. "Kids at school call Aisha names and make fun of her. Besides, Natalie is my friend. She seemed really interested in it when I told her."

"I'm assuming Aisha is the large one? That's what you get for eating a box of Twinkies every day," Johnny commented, lowering his voice. Miguel scowled. 

"Don't be rude. Nat is friends with Aisha, and any friend of hers is a friend of mine."

Johnny didn't seem convinced. He just stared at Miguel, not understanding the point. 

Miguel leaned back against the unused whiteboard. "Aisha's dad is Isaiah Robinson. Her family is loaded! You need the money, right?" 

Johnny considered this for a second before returning to the training space. "Okay, take off your shoes. Climb on the mat," he instructed them. Natalie smiled at Miguel and slid her tennis shoes off. 

Once everyone was in the center, Johnny spoke to Aisha. "After further review I've decided to allow females into my dojo. But in order to be in Cobra Kai you can't act like a girl," he said.