twenty five

『 twenty-five 』

NATALIE'S THIRD HOUR CLASS was more of a study hall and less of an animal sciences class. The teacher had given up actually teaching after her husband's death. 

Natalie couldn't say she blamed her for the apathetic attitude. She just wished the school would have hired someone new to take over. It didn't seem like they were trying to hire a new someone anyway. Maybe they were at first. But after the news of the fight reached the entire state, and outside, no one seemed eager to step into any new role at that school. 

Even still, the teacher insisted on a dead silent room every single day. No phones, no music. Laptops were to be kept at a minimum. The third hour was her least favorite class. It was everyone in that room's least favorite class. 

Today, Natalie had no homework. She had nothing to catch up on, nothing to study for. The silence was not good for wandering and stressed minds. 

The most recent few days hadn't been any more kind. The Cobra Kais were growing in numbers, and by extension were more restless. It was as if the new Cobra Kai body was energized by feasting on the joy of the innocent. Sensei Kreese was gaining a more popular name among parents, while Johnny's name was being dragged deeper through the mud as the days went on. 

Leila spent less time around the family. She claimed she was just feeling under the weather most days. Natalie tried not to worry too much. Her mom would not like it. 

Kate grew more distant. Hawk grew more intolerant. Miguel called less and less. Tory still refused to answer her texts. Robby's status was unknown. The only person Natalie could reach who understood what was going on was Aisha. But moving had not been kind to Aisha's schedule. It was hard to get a hold of her as well. 

But this day was harder. It was more difficult to get through the class hours. The silence was too much for her to handle that specific day. 

"May I be excused?" Natalie asked. 

Her teacher pointed towards the door nonchalantly. Natalie hurried out the door, eyes focused on the floor. Kate watched her leave from the other end of the classroom. She glanced back at Jason behind her, who had paid no attention. Kate threw her eraser at him. He looked up, looking down at the eraser on the floor. 

"What?" Jason whispered. 

Kate leaned against the thin desk armrest. She kept her voice low as possible. "Do you know when your sensei-"

"I can't hear you," Jason muttered. 

Kate raised her voice. "Do you know-"

"Hey! Silence," the teacher ordered. Kate's head instantly snapped down to her desk. Jason chuckled. 

Natalie made it to the nearest restroom with zero interference from teachers. Thankfully, no one was already occupying the room. She slammed the door to the disabled stall shut and threw her shoulder against the wall. 

Natalie shoved the neckline of her sweater into her mouth. She slowly slid to the floor against the wall. 

The fabric muffled the sounds of her cries, as did work as a sponge for falling tears. They came down like a thunderstorm. Constant and consistent rain, sobs racking through her curled body like distant thunder. Natalie buried her face in her knees. She dropped her sweater from her mouth and dug her teeth into her bottom lip. 

The walls closed in on her body. The air became dense. It became difficult to breathe. Each inhale and exhale became a struggle. 

Natalie tried to look up. The colors of the restroom around her dulled in and out. Her body trembled. Sweat leaked from every pore of her hands and neck. One lone sob bubbled out of her body.