six

『 six 』

THE DOJO HAD FINALLY PUT THEMSELVES together. It took teamwork, but they got there. Johnny had them launch straight into punches. He had Miguel, Natalie, and Aisha split the class into three groups to show them the basic punches. After about half an hour, he had them fall in again and try it for real. 

"Fighting positions! Jet punch- nope, not til I say go. HIYA!"

The class collectively punched. Most were slow and weak behind their movements, but that was to be expected. All in all, they weren't bad. Johnny walked around correcting their stances, insulting a few here and there. 

Eli wasn't doing so good. He was lagging, and not putting near enough effort behind the force. Johnny noticed this immediately. 

"Hey, Lip!" He called on him, making everyone stop. Eli lowered his arms. "Yeah, you, with the freaky lip. Who do you think I'm talking to?"

Natalie watched them from the front. She wanted to call Johnny out for the face Eli made, but she knew it would be efforts wasted. She could talk to him about it later. 

Or not. 

"I'm sorry, Mr. Lawrence-"

"Sensei Lawrence!" Aisha shouted in correction. 

"Okay... you really shouldn't make fun of someone's appearance," Demetri told him from the next row. 

"Is that so?" Johnny asked. "So I'm not supposed to mention his lip at all?"

"Well, yeah."

Johnny took a step closer. "Well that may be what they teach you in school, but in the real world you can't expect people to do what they're supposed to do. You hear that, Lip?" He asked Eli, who looked like he just wanted to go home. "If you can't handle someone making fun of your face, how are you gonna handle an elbow to the teeth?"

"By calling the police?" Demetri suggested. 

"Dude, knock it off," Miguel whispered. 

Demetri looked at him incredulously. "What? He does remember the Nazis lost the war, right? I mean, look at him. Does he think it makes him cool to have a snake on his wall?" He asked, waving around the room. "It's not like he's a teacher who can give us a bad grade. We're paying him. He works for us. It's not like he can actually hurt us."

Natalie pinched the bridge of her nose when Johnny approached him. He didn't look happy. 

"Ah, shit," Miguel muttered. 

"This was a bad idea," Natalie agreed. 

"Are you done?" Johnny asked him. Demetri looked to Eli for help. "Strike me," Johnny told him. 

He slowly got into the proper stance. "It's alright, hit me," Johnny encouraged. Natalie covered her eyes with her fingers. Watching this train wreck was not on her bucket list. 

Demetri punched, which Johnny deflected with ease. 

"Harder."

So Demetri did his best a second time, which was once again deflected. Natalie peeked through her fingers. 

"Is that all you got, princess?" Johnny mocked. Demetri glared and punched again, as hard as he could. Johnny grabbed it and flipped him on his back within a second. Students gasped. Demetri groaned in pain, and Johnny stood up. 

"Let that be a lesson to all of you," he told them. 

Natalie knew this would be Demetri's last session. At least it was over quick.