sixteen

『 sixteen 』

HER LEGS ACHED. Her chest burned. Her arms were numb. She was ready to collapse. 

Someone had trashed the Miyagi dojo. It had been absolutely destroyed. Vandalism all around, things painted, other things broken beyond repair. 

Robby had called Natalie the evening after Daniel LaRusso's march into Cobra Kai in fumes. She had to step into the back lawn to debate without disturbing her household. He texted her several pictures of their ruined dojo, including one where someone had spray painted "Cobra Kai Never Dies" on the side of one of Daniel's cars. It was proving difficult to wash off. That was the solid evidence of who was to blame. 

That had sprung into one of their biggest arguments yet. She had no clue who would have done something so horrendous, and he didn't believe her. Natalie began to tell as the argument went on - and after Sam got on the phone, that they were more scared than angry. Sam was terrified. 

And no one would confess to the crime. 

"So I'm gonna ask you again; who trashed Miyagi-Do?" Sensei Lawrence shouted. 

"It wasn't me, Sensei. I would never disrespect another man's dojo," Raymond exclaimed. His face was red and about ready to combust. His arms were flinging wildly, hitting the two next to him at various times. He was the biggest mess of them all. 

"Shut you cake hole, Chubs!"

"We're sorry, Sensei! We don't know who did it!" Mitch panted, jumping back up to his feet. He stayed up too long, as Sensei Kreese gave him a death stare, daring him to stay motionless one second longer. 

Sensei Lawrence paced to the other side of the room, watching his students with utmost displeasure. "I'm not looking for excuses. I'm looking for answers!"

Miguel slowly got to his feet. "Sensei, we really don't know who did it!"

"Somebody knows something. Question is, who's gonna break?" Sensei Kreese said. 

Natalie made eye contact with Aisha for a second when they were both on their feet. Her legs already felt like jelly. Her hair was starting to fall out of its braid. She was so grateful she had cancelled that plan right after the session. Her and Aisha were able to slowly get back down to the floor, though they were reminded very soon of how difficult push ups became once you lost feeling in your arms. 

Sensei Lawrence took a phone call in his office. "Keep going! We could do this all day!"

A few minutes later Sensei Lawrence stepped back out, jacket in hand. "I need to be somewhere. Can you take over the rest of the hour?" He asked Sensei Kreese. 

The older man nodded, looking back out over the sea of teenagers. Most of them were struggling to move at this point. He seemed unfazed. "Of course. Do what you need to do."

Sensei Kreese waited until the door closed behind the other man before holding a hand up. He paused them in action. Half of the students fell to the ground. The other half were too afraid to move, in fear of their sensei's wrath. Rightfully cautious, too. Sensei Kreese showed no compassion or signs of mercy. 

"Enough. Water break, then we're moving to the back. Maybe some weights will jog your memory," he commanded. He looped his thumbs through the belt loops in his gi and returned to the office. 

Only then, did they all feel safe enough to collapse. Hawk and Miguel retrieved their friends' bottles. 

Natalie was so exhausted she nearly fell against Aisha completely. Miguel handed over her own water bottle, politely sparing her one extra step in opening it. He then had to forcefully pull it away to prevent her from chugging it all.