thirty seven

『 thirty seven 』

JACKSON SPOKE WITH HER over the week prior about her planned moving out. Some discussions were held at the dinner table, others at Leila's bedside. Hawk was involved in a few of them. The crisis was a family matter. 

Leila was back in the hospital. They considered keeping her for longer than usual, given her track record over the past few months. 

It had been a good three weeks with her at home. She tried to cook just like before. She would play board games with Natalie just like before, and she offered to help Hawk change his hair before the incident. Natalie helped her shave her head and shop for cute headscarves. But simple things like that exhausted Leila like never before. She could spend thirty minutes in the kitchen every night and have to spend the rest of the evening in bed. Sometimes she would sit on the couch with the rest of them on the better days. 

But now she was back in the hospital, on mild watch. This was what worried Jackson about Natalie's move. She planned this to be an actual move; not just spending the week at a friend's house while a feud with Hawk cooled down. There would be one extra room in the house. 

Natalie certainly had the money - enough to get by. Her two jobs were suiting her well. Financial things were going well enough for a high schooler. She would be living with the Keenes. Shannon had gotten back on track, and Robby was doing well at his job. With her on board, they wouldn't need to worry about rent or utilities for another long while. 

That wasn't Jackson's concern. He was worried about something happening to Leila and Natalie being too far away from the family in an emergency. After thought, Natalie had to agree. She talked it off with Robby and Shannon. It was best a plan for another time. 

Funny enough, this was what led to Natalie breaking into Miyagi-Do one morning to blow off steam. 

Natalie hit the bag again. And again. And again. 

"What are you doing here?" Daniel spoke behind her. He and Sam were opening up the dojo for the class that afternoon. 

They were twenty minutes early. 

Natalie glanced over her shoulder and regarded him with a short look. "I needed to hit something," she answered nonchalantly. She threw her elbow out at the bag. 

"How did you get back here? We're the only ones with keys," Daniel demanded, motioning to him and Sam. 

"I hopped the fence." Natalie side-kicked the bag twice. "To be fair, you're early."

Sam joined them outside after setting her bag inside. "Are you joining the dojo? Has anyone told you about the girls' division for the All Valley? We could use one more girl fighter," she asked.

Natalie laughed, actually laughed. "Nope. Just needed to hit something."

"Really? I would be happy to have you with us." Daniel handed his bag off to Sam, who put it with hers. 

"I'm not joining," Natalie muttered. She gave the bag one more good hit. 

"But it's so boring being the only girl around here!" Sam protested. Natalie shook her head. Sam wasn't paying any attention. She started trying to put her hair back in a ponytail. "Just come around a few days a month? The boys are so annoying!"