four

『 four 』

It was March of 2018. Natalie and Eli sat in the kitchen of his house one boring Sunday afternoon. Demetri had been over, but left an hour prior. His mom was peacefully fixing them a snack. 

Natalie loved Mrs. Moskowitz. She was such a sweet and diligent woman, who truly loved her son more than anything in the world. She couldn't say the same about his father, though. Natalie had only met Mr. Moskowitz once before, and she did not intend on repeating that any time soon. 

She would be gone by the time his dad came by to pick him up for his weekend visitation. Her and Eli had gotten it all planned out. His dad was coming by at six. Her mom got off work at five and would have her gone by five thirty. 

That was what they thought. 

Mr. Moskowitz and Mrs. Zimmerman thought it would be a good idea to surprise their kids. They came by the house together. And in the same car. And with a diamond ring. 

"I'm going to the supermarket, honey. Please try not to burn the house down before your dad gets here," Eli's mom shouted from the entryway as she gathered her purse. 

A car rolled into the driveway. Natalie saw the hood of her mom's car through the small window next to the fireplace. "That's my ride," she muttered, giving Eli a small hug. 

Mrs. Moskowitz sighed and opened the door. "Right on time. It's been lovely having you, Natalie. Have a good evening," she hastily bid them good bye and escaped the house before her husband could come around. 

The door stayed open for a moment after Mrs. Moskowitz left. Natalie curiously went to close it. She was faced with a strange scene. Eli's mom stood just beyond the welcome mat staring at Leila's car. Leila was climbing out, but not alone. Eli's dad climbed out of the passenger seat at waved at his ex wife. Mrs. Moskowitz quickly made her way to her own car once noticing how crowded the driveway was becoming. 

"Did he break down?" Natalie called to her mom, nodding toward Mr. Moskowitz. Eli joined her at the doorway. 

Leila grinned and ran into the house. Her hands were stuck in her pants pockets. Mrs. Moskowitz locked the car and joined her. Natalie narrowed her eyebrows. This was an odd thing; their two parents driving together. But at this point Natalie had learned to stop asking questions and just roll with it. 

"Hi, dad," Eli muttered, leading them back into the kitchen. "Do we need to get your car tomorrow?"

"No. Quiet down," his father told him, rather rudely. Natalie scowled at him. Eli subtly grabbed her hand to keep her from retaliating. 

Leila ignored Mr. Moskowitz and his rude nature as if she were used to it. "Kids, we actually have news," Leila announced, continuing to hide her hand. She wasn't leaving Mr. Moskowitz's side. 

Natalie hopped onto the nearest bar stool. She hated when her mom addressed her with her friends as kids. But this always meant good news was coming. Otherwise, they would be "children".

"The news is... do you want to say it?" Leila asked, touching his arm with her right hand. Natalie stared at her left, which remained locked behind her back.