thirty six

thirty-six

HAWK WAS SILENT THE ENTIRE drive home from Miyagi-Do. Natalie knew that now was not a time to pick up idle chit-chat for the sake of avoiding uncomfortable silence. Some silent moments just needed to be left uncomfortable. 

Miguel asked at the gate to the parking lot if he wanted to press charges. Coming from previous personal experience, Miguel advised him that it may be better to let it be. It may be better to let the deal sort itself out without going through legal troubles. Hawk agreed with one nod of the head, and that was the last anyone acknowledged it until the two siblings returned home. 

Jackson was in the basement when they arrived. He didn't hear them walk into the upstairs bathroom, and they were left to wander the house in peace. Jackson had never liked the mohawk. If they acted well enough, Hawk could pass it off that he had made the decision to lose it. Maybe, if Jackson thought his son had gained a little "dignity and sense," he could earn back a few brownie points with his father. 

Maybe if Natalie acted well enough, Hawk wouldn't need to find out that she was dating the boy who committed the crime. 

And maybe if she shoved the cold feeling in her gut down far enough, she could convince herself things weren't turning for the worst. She could convince herself she wouldn't need to choose between two important people in her life again

She had yet to bring the topic up to Robby, in whatever way she may figure out to do it. If there was anything she believed in, it was allowing people the opportunity to explain themselves. Not that he would have deserved something so harsh, but maybe Hawk had it coming. This wouldn't have been the first time he finally got payback for something a long time coming. 

Hawk had mentioned other Cobra Kai members. So maybe it wasn't just Robby's call! Maybe he was a simple accomplice. Natalie could much sooner see Kyler or Tory acting out so bold as to cut an enemy's hair. 

Or maybe Robby had made a plain mistake. There was no way to know until she was able to speak with both sides. 

Hawk couldn't level the remnants of his former pride himself. He asked Natalie to do it. She had no choice but to oblige. Lord knows Hawk may have cut his scalp with the scissors had he been allowed to do it himself. 

Natalie worked steadily and patiently. It was difficult because the purple dye extended to further down then they had cut. She needed to get close to the scalp for all remnants of what once was to disappear. They did not speak while she worked. There was nothing that could be said that would make the situation any better. 

She made sure that everything was even before having Hawk check it out for himself. He was insistent on turning away from the mirror until the last possible moment. 

He didn't speak for another minute. He stayed in the bathroom while she retrieved the broom to clean up the mess of purple and black hair gathered on the floor. The two stood in silence for a moment afterward, letting the final affects of what had happened settle over the room. 

"Thank you, Nat," he finally whispered. 

Natalie smiled encouragingly, brushing away from stray pieces from the back of his neck. "You look good." 

"Don't lie. It's worse." 

"I'm not lying, Hawk. And it'll grow out in just a few months and you'll be able to get your mohawk back," she promised. 

He shook his head. "I can't go back to school for a while," Hawk muttered. 

Natalie crossed her arms, hitting him lightly. "You can't skip, dude. Not showing up would just prove to them that they've won."