C H A P T E R 2

The loud applauses and cheers filled up her ears as she gracefully concluded her performance. All eyes were fixed on her in awe but she tried to keep her gaze low, avoiding a particular pair of eyes.

It was good enough she didn't abruptly stop singing when she first noticed the lethal browny eyes in the crowd and cause a disaster. It may seem effortless but it took so much willpower to keep singing without trying to catch another look at those eyes.

I don't need this. I don't want this.

These were the words that she kept chanting in her head, pushing herself to remain calm and maintain her composed image. It's a big day for her and she shouldn't let anyone or anything ruin this. She'll just have to wait a few more seconds before she can get backstage and have her breakdown.

But her breakdown was postponed to even later as she was informed by the anchors to stay put since she's required to present an award. By then Sivaangi could already sense a calamity. Everything was perfectly going wrong so a big mishap is definitely waiting for it's turn.

The banters of the anchor, the laughter from the audience, the video that was being played...she wasn't focusing on any of that. All she could think of was the chocolate eyes.

Just then, the female anchor slipped a piece of white paper into her hand and signalled her to read it out. When Sivaangi stared at her with a blank face, she laughed nervously. "Please announce the favourite actor of the year Sivaangi."

With a sheepish smile, she opened the paper and that moment she truly wished she could dig up a hole and bury herself inside.

In the shaky voice of hers, she called out the name that she promised herself to erase out of her memory. "Ashwin Kumar."

The cheers and claps were a lot more louder this time as a tall, awfully familiar figure made it's way to the stage. She took a deep breath, trying to convince herself that she'll be fine but she knows very well that's a lie.

The anchor passed her the trophy just before the recipient got on the stage. His heavy steps told her that he was feeling just as anxious as her. And somehow that made her feel slightly better. To know that she had an effect on him just like how he did on her.

After what felt like an eternity, he neared her and she swiftly handed him the trophy with a polite smile.

They both shut their eyes momentarily when their fingers brushed against each other. Sivaangi immediately brought her hands back to herself, cursing in her head silently.

"This is actually a historical moment because the world is witnessing the trending pair together on stage after almost 3 years!"

That was all it took for the crowd to go completely crazy. But the actual trending pair just awkwardly smiled, strictly avoiding any eye contact with each other.

Detecting the uneasiness, the anchor immediately tried to put them both in ease. "Ashwin, a few words from you please."

Ashwin grabbed hold of the mic and cleared his throat. "Thank you so much for this award. This is a great honor. I need to definitely thank my fans, unga support illama naa inga vandhurkavey maaten. Thank you so much for your unconditional love, adhuku oru deserving person-ah naa yeppavum iruka try panren."

(I wouldn't be here without your support. I'll try to make myself a deserving person for your unconditional love.)

Life would have been very simple and easy if he had stopped his speech there. But God had other plans for both of them.

He sucked in a breath and his trembling hand brought the mic closer to his lips again.

"Naa oru mukiyamana person-ah thank panniye aaganum indha tharunathula. She is this god-sent angel in my life. I came into this industry and did many different projects, but I struggled for 7 years without getting proper recognition or appreciation. Yellamey mudinchunu nenacha time la thaan ava vandha. Yenna yenakey different ah kaatuna. Yen ulagathaye maathuna. Life ah azhaga aakuna. She was this beautiful girl who became my reason to wake up everyday. Naa patta yellam kashtam, avamanam, asingam, yematram...yellamey avala patha andha nimisham yenaku marandhuduchu. That painful journey seemed worth it because it led me to her. And even today, I'm continuing this journey only because of her."