Chapter 40

Booth let out a sigh of relief as he stretched out on the couch of Willow's parents' house... stripy sock-clad feet propped up on an arm rest and a beer in one hand, the remote in the other as he prepared to watch some sports. It was late and he knew it was time to wind down and relax for a little bit. It had been a long week since he had rushed to Sunnydale, although to Booth it felt like the time he had spent with Willow had flown.

Ira and Sheila Rosenberg had passed through Sunnydale a few days before, checking on Willow and thanking Booth for taking the time to come and check on Willow, even though it wasn't his job. Seeley had fought to control his emotions when Sheila had commented on how nice it was for his job to allow him the freedom to come across the country just to check up on the daughter he hadn't even known he had until a few short months before. The words had been innocent enough but the tone of voice the woman used clearly indicated to all present that she thought that Booth's job was not nearly as important as her own and that since he was there, she was content to let him look after Willow while she and Ira went on with their holiday, leaving again just hours after Willow was released from hospital.

Booth had seen the glares that Xander had sent towards the couple as they left, along with the ones that Oz and Cordelia had sent at the backs of Willow's adopted parents. If looks could kill, the Rosenbergs would be six feet under by now, Booth was certain of it.

For the moment, it was just him and Willow at the house. The other teenagers had reluctantly gone back to school, although they always came over once the school day was over. Respecting the teenager's right to privacy, Booth took the opportunity to go for a run and call Bones to see what she was up to and how the rest of the team were.

Once darkness fell, Xander, Cordelia and Oz headed home, leaving Booth and Willow alone. Booth would cook something light for Willow, whose appetite wasn't very good at the moment, before making himself something to eat and they would eat dinner together.

Booth turned his head and looked at the wheelchair propped against the wall near the front door. Willow insisted on walking around the house on her own, although she was still a little wobbly and she had been forbidden from even attempting the stairs alone but the wheelchair would be needed on longer trips out of the house, such as when Willow went to and from school once she went back. The doctor had reported that Willow still needed time to rest, despite how quickly she had recovered, so she would still be missing at least another week of school despite her protests that she was fine.

The creaking of floorboards made Booth start and he turned around, relaxing when he saw Willow dressed in a t-shirt and a pair of light pants.

"Hey, do you need anything?" Booth asked, moving to get up. He glanced at his watch. It was late...Willow was usually asleep by now.

"How did you get down here?" he asked. Willow blinked and smiled sheepishly at him before she crept over, leaning lightly on the furniture and walls for support. Booth moved over so Willow could sit beside him. Seeing her rub her bare arms once, Booth picked up a blanket that had been draped over the back of the couch and wrapped it around Willow's shoulders.

"Thanks," she said softly, her pale face illuminated by the flickering lights of the television set. Booth shrugged.

"Don't worry about it. Are you okay?"

Willow paused before she answered. "I couldn't sleep," she confessed. Booth nodded. He understood where she was coming from. While he was pretty sure Willow wouldn't get PTSD from the incident (although it was still a lingering thought in the back of Booth's mind), he'd expected nightmares to plague Willow's sleep. The only reason they hadn't been an issue before now was that Willow had been running on so much pain medication that she had been too drugged up to be troubled by nightmares. It seemed that Willow was the opposite to Zach in that regard, Booth reasoned, remembering how Zach had genuinely become terrified of sleeping while he was under the effect of the strong pain medication he'd been given while he was at hospital.