On Board

"Mike let me set this very straight for you", Uncle turned to Michael in the most calm yet hella intimidating way and continued, "this is the last time you will be interacting with Sanyukta with whatever that attitude is that you're carrying. This is the second time that you two have been together in a room in my presence and I can only imagine what lengths you must have gone to make her feel unwanted and uninvited here behind my back BUT you don't get to that anymore. She is MY guest and YOUR lawyer. You will show her the respect she deserves and that's an order."

Michael got tongue tied at that and honestly, so did I. 

As a professional, it was great to work with clients who treated you like family. I know as soon as I took up this case that this is going to be a lot different than all of my previous experiences and there were a bunch load of reasons for that. However, what tops that bunch is the new reason that I found today - this is not a case of 'like family' treatment, this is a 'family' affair... even if Michael likes it or not.

Michael slightly shook his head and said, "That's the thing Dad. You want to treat her as a guest, fine by me BUT I'm not okay with her being my lawyer. Dad, you know everything . What if they get to her? What if she decides to side with them?  Whatever you're paying her, I'm sure they can top that. What would we do then?" 

"You won't have to do anything", I say failing to keep quiet.

"Sorry what?", Michael questioned.

I looked at Uncle silently seeking his approval before saying anything further. Uncle signaled in affirmative and so I started, "You won't have to do anything since I can assure you that there won't come a day when I would decide to ditch you just because of extra money."

"Oh really? And you expect me to believe that? I've seen the best people do a take a complete 180 degree for some extra cash. So, excuse me if I don't see the halo above your head but I'd rather not engage a lawyer at the cost of losing my career", Michael shot back.

"Dad", at this point Michael looked extremely vulnerable, "I've put a lot of effort into the career that I've built today. I enjoy having the freedom of making music, doing what I love. I don't want to jeopardize that any cost... even if that requires making certain personal sacrifices."

"Michael", Uncle said softly, "there is a difference between making certain sacrifices for yourself and sacrificing your own self. Child, you are too scared to see this but you will be destroying yourself if we do not do anything to get you out of this mess."

Uncle looked at Michael again and took his hands in his own, "Trust me on this one Mikey, I have seen you grow and become this amazing artist and person all your own and I have always supported you in every step BUT nothing in this world can be above your happiness and peace son, not even your career... I hope you see this soon."

"We will make sure that nothing out of this inflicts on your career," Uncle looked at me while he said this as if seeking an assurance from me to protect his son's career and then quickly shifted his gaze back at Michael.

Uncle continued, "however, if there is a small percentage of risk of that happening, then its a risk I'm willing to take and I hope you do too."

Michael looked at his Dad slightly baffled but mostly trying to figure out everything that Uncle said. This time he wasn't angry but I could see that he was rather willing to understand whatever Uncle was trying to tell him.

"How are you going to do that? How are you going to protect my image and thereby my career from all of this?" Michael asked Uncle who in turn looked at me, again.

"Um... I have a plan. Actually, more like an outline. But I need to talk to you, need to understand a lot of things to clear our grounds. Are you on board?" I asked Michael.

"Looks like I have no choice." 

Uncle and I couldn't help but smile in that moment.

A/N: Guys this story has gained so many new readers. I am so happy that you decided to give this story a chance. Thank you do much for reading it, voting on it and adding it your libraries. You guys are pyaar.

P.S. The next update would be on 2nd or 3rd of July! Sorry for the wait!