9. A calm before strom

Time elapsed quickly, and soon it was Bondita's 17th birthday. Bondita was standing near the window, gazing at the moon. It was 10 minutes before midnight. She smiled, remembering how her maa, baba, and mostly her dada never failed to wish her a happy birthday at exactly 12 am.

She thought her life was so perfect. She had everything she wanted: her dreams, her love, her family, everything she needed. She never had to ask for anything; she got everything she wanted. Her life was just perfect.

She was lost in her thoughts when she felt two palms cover her eyes. She immediately recognized that touch.

"Birristra babu?"

"Happy birthday Chanchala," he whispered in her ear.

Bondita turned towards him, about to hug him, but then she saw her family and Randheer standing behind him. They all wished her in unison.

Bondita first went towards her baba. She was about to touch his feet, but he held her by the shoulders and hugged her.

"Kitni bar kaha hai beta. Betiya pair nhi chhuti."

("How many times have I told you, daughter? Daughters don't touch feet.")

"Par baba ap mere sab kuch hai. Mere baba, mere dost, mere guru. Apne guru ke pair chhuna galat hua kya?" she argued with her father.

("But, Baba, you are everything to me. My father, my friend, my teacher. Is it wrong to touch the feet of my guru?")

"Maine bhi toh hamesha se kaha hai ki tum mere liye durga maa jaisi ho toh kya meri choti durga mere pair chhuyegi toh aacha lagega kya?"

("I have always said that you are like Goddess Durga to me, so how would it feel if my little Durga touched my feet?")

Everyone watched the sweet bond between father and daughter with smiles.

"Par...."

Sumati interrupted her.

"Arey bas bas aaj hi sab tark Kar loge dono? Aur Bondita tujhe sirf baba se milna hai? Apni maa ke gale nhi lagegi?"

("Enough, enough. Will you both finish all your arguments today? And Bondita, will you only meet your Baba? Won't you hug your mother?")

Not letting her speak further, Bondita almost jumped on her mother, giving her a tight hug.

"Janam din ke bohot bohot sudhkamnaye meri bachi," she kissed her temple.

("Many, many birthday blessings, my child.")

"Dhanyavaad maa."

("Thank you, Maa.")

"Happy birthday meri pyari gudiya," Parth said, pulling her cheeks.

"Thank you mere pyare dada," she replied, pulling his cheeks.

"Anirudh babu mujhe lag raha hai yaha koi mujhe bhool gaya hai," Randheer said, gaining her attention.

("Anirudh Babu, I feel like someone has forgotten me.")

Bondita went to him and lightly smacked his head.

"Tujhe main kaise bhool sakti hu?"

("How could I forget you?")

She hugged him. Everyone smiled seeing them, Rajat and Sumati had tears in their eyes and sweet smiles playing on their lips. Only they knew how badly Bondita needed friends, but she only had her maa as her best friend, then her baba and dada. When everyone refused to be her friend, Randheer was the only one who accepted her as a friend!