12. Truth

"Bahut hi pyaara naam hai aapka, bilkul Ganga ki tarah sundar aur pavitra," Bondita said smiling.

Suddenly, her eye went to Bhagirathi's hairline, which was filled with vermilion. Seeing that, her eyes filled with warm tears, but she hid it with a smile. She was here to support her Barrister Babu, to show him she loved him no matter what. She would always be by his side!

Bhagirathi chuckled dryly, "Sahi kaha tumne, log mujhe bhi har baar apne sparsh se apavitra karte hain! Bas farak sirf itna hai us Ganga ko pavitra aur mujhe apavitra maante hain."

("You said it right. People touch me and make me impure! The only difference is that they consider the Ganga pure and me impure.")

Both Anirudh and Bondita looked at her in confusion. "Matlab main kuch samajhi nahi," said Bondita, moving towards her.

("I don't understand what you mean.")

"Tum abhi bohot masoom ho, yeh samajhne ke liye," replied Bhagirathi, making Bondita more confused while Anirudh somehow got a hint of what she was talking about.

("You are too innocent to understand this.")

"Agar aap samjhayengi nahi toh kaise samjhegi yeh masoom si Bondita," Bondita said, placing her hand on her waist.

("If you don't explain, how will this innocent Bondita understand?")

"Hum badnaam galiyon se aaye hain," Bhagirathi whispered, lowering her head, feeling ashamed of herself. Anirudh got confirmation while Bondita still looked confused.

("I come from the infamous lanes.")

"Yeh konsi gali hai? Aur isse badnaam gali kyun kehte hain?" Bondita asked innocently.

("Which lane is this? And why is it called infamous?")

Bhagirathi didn't know how to explain such things to an innocent soul. The silence between them was becoming more tense.

"Barrister Babu, aap hi samjha dijiye mujhe yeh kya kehna chahti hai," Bondita said, looking towards Anirudh.

("Barrister Babu, you explain to me what she is trying to say.")

"Bondita, yeh woh... woh... yeh..." Anirudh fumbled, not knowing how to explain to her.

"Kya yeh woh yeh woh kar rahe hain? Seedhe seedhe bolna nahi aata kya?" said a frustrated Bondita, for not getting her answer.

("Why are you fumbling? Can't you say it directly?")

"Bondita, yeh kehna chahti hai ki woh Ganikaaghar se aayi hai," Anirudh tried to explain to her.

("Bondita, she means she came from a brothel.")

Now Bondita realized what Bhagirathi was trying to say. She looked at Bhagirathi with teary eyes, who nodded in response and lowered her head, feeling extremely low about herself.

"Par aap yaha? Vivaah? Kaise?" Bondita asked, getting more confused.

("But you are here? Marriage? How?")

"Main batati hoon sab!" Bhagirathi said and continued, "Kuch dino pehle kothe pe ek aadmi aaya tha..."

("I'll tell you everything! A few days ago, a man came to the brothel...")

Flashback:

Bhagirathi's POV:

I clearly remember the day when he came to the brothel. It was my day for mujra and I was amazed to see such a handsome man. I had never seen someone so well-maintained and good-looking in my whole life. But he was no different from other men. A person who comes to a brothel can never get my respect.