7

Dylan

Most girls blush if I just catch them looking at me, but Chelsea seems just as normal as ever. The fact that she got me all wet and sticky with orange juice, then went on and served us our meal... Is that normal?

Maybe I'm just being selfish. Maybe that's just what anyone would do.

Chill, Dylan. You're just a person. She probably hates you.

Chelsea

It's Saturday evening, the sun is just about to dip below the horizon, leaving the air slightly chilly. I can hear crickets and frogs as I walk to pick up Becky.

I can't help to think about Dylan and Thomas. Of course he despises me. Of course I'm even more weird now. Of course he'll feel even more inclined to insult me.

Screw this. I just want to think about Becky.

She and her friend are sitting on the porch steps, looking at a jar that I'm assuming holds lightning bugs. They're everywhere in the warmer part of the year. That's now, I guess, even though it's only March.

Spring came early, did the groundhog not see his shadow?

Oh wait, I don't care.

"Hey Chelsea!" Becky calls, a real smile dominating her features. Her hair is long and brown like mine, but her eyes are much darker. Even though the sun is setting, I can tell she had a nice day, just by looking at her figure in the dimming light.

"Hey Beck, ready to go?"

"Yeah, okay," she says slowly, but not exactly objectively.

"Alright, let me talk to your friend's mom for a sec, I'll be right back."

I walk past them on the porch and open the front door. The house is beautiful; high ceilings, leather furniture, live plants. The lawn is mowed, there's nothing but lush green grass. It looks like one of those model homes from a catalogue.

"Hello?" I call.

I hear footsteps, then a petite woman wearing a short dress comes into view. "Good eve- Oh Goodness, what happened to your face?"

She must have seen me cringe back.

"I'm... I'm sorry..."

"It's nothing." I meet her eyes, she seems nervous.

"So, you're Becky's sister."

"Yep. That's me, I was just coming to pick her up. Thank you, by the way."

I flash a smile, and even I can hear my fake-ness. I can also hear her judging me as a close the door.

"C'mon, Beck. Let's get home."

"Okay. Bye, Sal!" Becky takes off after me.

"By Beck!" Sal goes back in her fancy house.

I listen to Becky talk about her day, her voice bubbly. She's rambling, but I don't care. She's happy. She had a good day.

A smile creeps across my face at the speed of an echinoderm. Slowly.

This is perfect.

It never lasts, does it.

The man wearing all black is suddenly in front of us. The sky is completely dark now. Becky screams and I push her behind me.

"Who the he-"

"Shut up," he rasps, flashing a knife.

My heart beats faster.

"What do you want?" I struggle to keep my voice steady. Becky would get us killed if she saw the knife or if she knew how terrified I am.

"For Phillip only. Not you. Read it and I'll kill the little one."

I gulp and pull Becky tighter against my skin.

"Okay," I whisper as tears leak out of my eyes.

He hands me a folded piece of paper, then he's gone.

"Are you okay?" I ask Becky quietly.

"I'm fine," she says in a dead voice. It's the exact opposite of how she was talking seconds before.

I bite my lip so I don't start crying. This is my fault. I'm positive that this guy has something to do with the robbery, and that started when I didn't make Phillip breakfast.

I should have just made some flipping pancakes.

I slide the paper into my pocket and make Becky walk in front of me for the rest of the way home.

-

I drag Phillip out on the porch when we get home, much to his disapproval.

"Catch."

I drop a stick. He catches it. This is the first time in a while that he's not on something. Then he pulls out a box of cigars.

"What you want, girl?" He asks, not really caring.

I roll my eyes and tell the story, then give the note and walk in the house. I'm fuming.

I don't think he cares.

Of coursed he doesn't.