11

Chelsea

They all want to know what happened, but all I remember is that cold, hoarse voice, "I want her." After that I was hit upside the head with something sharp and I passed out. I don't know what happened, I don't know who hit me, I don't know where Phillip is. I just don't know.

I force myself to take in the stuffy air. There's about a million people surrounding the leather office chair in the police station that I've claimed. I need to calm down so I can leave and get back to Becky, who's probably still at home. She'll be terrified because she obviously doesn't know what's happening and nobody will listen to me long enough for me to tell them to go get her.

I squeeze my eyes shut and count. It's the only way I'll keep from punching everyone. "One, two, three, four..."

My eyes snap open. Dylan gave me his phone number, which I stuffed into my pocket.

Dylan

A worried Becky opens the door after I knock.

"Have you seen Chelsea?" She spits out nervously. Her big brown eyes look right into my soul, and they're filled with hope. Hope that I've seen Chelsea, when I've come to pick up Chelsea. Okay, maybe I'm a half hour early, but still. I don't care how she looks. She's already perfect.

"I was hoping you would know where she is," I tell her, suddenly on edge. That's when my cell phone lights up and buzzes from inside my pocket.

Unknown number.

Decline. They can leave a message.

"Well," Becky says to me as her face drops to the floor, "You can come in. I'm the only one here. Chelsea's been gone since last night." Her voice holds no emotion. It's dead.

My phone rings again, it's the same unknown number. Decline.

After I step in the tiny house, it buzzes again. I have a voicemail.

I enter my phone password, which may or may not be 1 2 3 4, and listen to the voicemail. My heart skips a beat as her voice cuts through the still air.

"Dylan? Dylan, why the actual-" she falls silent for a minute, and I hear yelling in the background. She mumbles something inappropriate. "Dylan, please get Becky. She's probably worried sick, and-" her voice cracks. Someone in the background yells something about a phone, but I hear Chelsea's name too. "I've got to go, I'm at the police station." She rushes this. "Please, Dylan, I'm-"

The line goes dead.

"Becky, we've got to go!" I run to the door and she follows me, carrying a book. I play her the voicemail as she climbs into the back seat of my car. Then we ride to the station. It's not awkward because the air is buzzing with both our nerves. Becky looks young, but I know she's nervous for the exact same reason I am.

Is Chelsea hurt?

We get inside and there's a lot of yelling. There's also a fairly large crowd. Cops, reporters, pedestrians, students. They're all screaming a variation of, "What happened to her?"

I watch as Becky shoves the crowd away because she and I both know that Chelsea awaits on the other side. I try to look over the crowd, but it's too thick, so I end up standing on top of a desk, just in time to see Becky fling herself into her sister's arms. Chelsea's gorgeous brown eyes widen in surprise and well with tears as she hugs Becky back. They're both speechless. Then someone taps on my ankle, a cop, and makes me get down. I can't take the noise, so I slip out quietly and slide my back down the wall next to the front doors.

She's okay. Chelsea's okay.

Chelsea

Becky.

Becky doesn't ask me what happened, she just keeps her arms wrapped around me. "How did you get here?" I sob in her ear. I can't hear myself over the crowd, but she seems too, because her reply is instant.

"The guy. The one you hate. He came to our house looking for you and he got your call."

I don't hate him, Becky.

The crowd is eventually cleared by extremely annoyed cops who insist on questioning me more. And of course, the only reason I'm actually here at this point is because someone told the whole town about whatever happened before I could leave, so I got stuck here. I know nothing, but they just won't accept that.

I mouth I'm sorry, wait here to Becky as I get dragged to a different room.

Dylan

Becky closes her book and stares at it for a good five minutes before her head snaps up. "Wait. Oh my God. No. No. No way. How can Snape be the Half-Blood Prince? What? Is this even..." Her voice fades and she reopens her book and stares at it intently.

I sit and watch her, Chelsea's sister. They have similar features. Becky shares her long brown hair and big brown eyes with Chelsea.

Plus, if I don't watch her, I feel like Chelsea will rip out my throat if something were to happen.

I wonder if Chelsea will still let me take her on that date.