9

Chelsea

"What do you want, Dylan?"

He flinches back. "Wh- huh?"

I scowl at him and try to slam the door, but Dylan catches it with his hand. I groan and try to push the door closed, but Dylan is preventing it. "Have I really not made it clear that I don't want to talk to you?" I spit, stepping onto the porch with him. Rain pounds on the porch cover.

Dylan seems surprised. "I can go..." He begins to say.

I roll my eyes in disgust and go back into my house, slamming the door.

Dylan

I hear the lock in Chelsea's front door click. My cue to leave.

I'm still not sure what exactly I did to her to make her hate me, but I strongly regret it. She's so beautiful, and when she's not around me, just a generally good person. Even though she's so horrible to me, I can't help but to be hopelessly attracted to her. I don't want to admit that I'm in love with her, but I am.

I hope she realizes it, maybe it'll change her mind.

What am I going to do? Chelsea is here, a lot, and if I come and talk to her dad, then she would likely be mad at me. If I don't, she could keep getting hurt. I'm stuck.

I walk back out into the rain, trying to ignore the ache in my chest.

Chelsea

Once Phillip wakes up, I pull him into his bedroom and close the door.

"You need to tell me what it said," I whisper venomously, careful to be quiet. Becky is sitting in the living room and I don't want her to worry. She shouldn't have to worry about anything.

"What? That note?" He laughs, he actually laughs. Plus, Phillip doesn't care enough to be quiet. There's a chance Becky's eavesdropping, and if she is, she certainly heard it. "It's nothin'."

"Then it shouldn't be a problem for you to show it to me." I say slowly. I tilt my head slightly to the side as frustration surges through me. My stare is as cold as ice.

That laugh again. I struggle not to backhand him. The only reason I don't is because I know Becky will probably take the fall, which I certainly don't want.

"Here," Phillip says with an evil smile. He digs the note out of his pocket and shreds it into pieces. Then he drops them at my feet. "There you go," he tells me, copying my expression, seeming to get off on my shock.

Then I get smacked.

"It's none of your flipping business what that note said, so I suggest you stay the hell out of it!" He yells as his hand slides harshly across my face again. I stumble back. It takes everything in me not to retaliate. Instead of throwing a punch, I bite my cheek until I taste blood, then I turn to leave.

"Wanna know what it said?"

I don't even glance at him.

"It said, 'Give me the girls and you don't have to pay the money.'"

I slam the door, tears rolling down my cheeks. Phillip is too dumb to make up something like that.

I collect Becky, who doesn't even ask why I'm crying, because she knows. She's smart, and judging by the confusion plastered across her face, she heard everything.

"How much did you hear?" I ask her anyways.

"All of it, but Chels, he's not going to give us away, is he?" She bites her lip. "And there was a note?"

"I don't think he would've told us if he were, so no. And yeah, Beck, there was a note. I didn't want to scare you."

She nods. "If he did give us away, what would happen to us?"

This gets me. Tears fall from my eyes like rain. "Don't think about that, okay?"

Becky nods.

We stay locked in our bedroom for the rest of the night, except that Becky sleeps, and I don't.

Dylan keeps surfacing in my mind.

Earlier, when I slammed the door in his face, I didn't even register how hurt he looked until now, as I recount the situation over and over in my head. Maybe Dylan isn't as bad as I've convinced myself he is, maybe he's just really bad about saying the wrong things. That could be the case.

It's a long shot, but maybe.

Do I give him a chance? I almost want to, but I bet that by now I've probably scared him off. That's usually what happens when I've been bullied before, they stop when I scare them, except I don't feel like Dylan is a bully. He's more of a nuisance, but almost in the good way.

Almost.