letter 56

if when tuesday rolled around, hyunjae noticed that jacob watched his interactions with juyeon a little more closely then he tried not to think about it. it didn't seem odd to juyeon but honestly nothing ever seemed odd to him. yet, hyunjae noticed how jacob was lurking around the two of them a little more than usual.

even when hyunjae had decided to take juyeon some fruit to eat to his dance practice that morning, jacob turned up too under the guise of 'i want to see how your performance is coming along'. hyunjae didn't know if he was simply being too skeptical but he just didn't buy the explanation at all. no, jacob definitely knew more than he was letting on and that in itself was terrifying.

hyunjae tried not to think about it. as their classes passed and then lunch passed too but it became obvious again during gym. the boy didn't know how or why but their gym teacher had always loved him and juyeon. this brought along with it many privileges such as being allowed to decide what they did during class and being seen as capable to be left alone in the fitness room. due to this, hyunjae and juyeon spent most of their gym lessons alone on treadmills or exercise bikes with their music blaring. today, however, jacob had decided to join them.

"hey, you guys don't mind if i tag along with you to the fitness room today right? it's just that i've hurt my leg a little and i want to rest it a bit so it doesn't get worse," he smiled and hyunjae hated second guessing jacob's intentions but he couldn't help it. he was sure that jacob's heart was in the right place no matter what the reason he was lurking around them was yet it made hyunjae nervous nonetheless. the thought that someone could know that the letters were from him to juyeon was utterly terrifying.

before hyunjae could even open his mouth to speak, juyeon was welcoming jacob into the room with open arms and pulling him a stool to sit down on. "if you've hurt your leg you shouldn't really do anything at all," juyeon spoke as he sat jacob down, "you can just be the dj or something, give us some workout songs!"

despite jacob's motives, hyunjae couldn't help but smile at the scene before him. juyeon's kind and caring nature was one of hyunjae's favourite things. no matter who was hurting or how or to what extent, juyeon was always there to make them feel better and he never failed. hyunjae couldn't even remember the amount of times juyeon had cheered him up or helped him recover from illness or an injury of some kind.

"okay, i'm happy with my job," jacob nodded and juyeon simply smiled in response before motioning for hyunjae to join him on the treadmill.

it was at this precise moment that hyunjae realised that maybe jacob being there was the worst thing that could possibly happen to him. see, he'd gotten used to not staring at juyeon. despite the younger's immense beauty and lure, over the years hyunjae had managed to perfect the art of not drooling over his best friend's face every 30 seconds. however, juyeon in the gym was not just juyeon.

juyeon in the gym was juyeon in a sleeveless t-shirt with slightly messy hair and the perfect amount of sweat to not be gross but sexy instead. suddenly jacob's presence threw up a whole bigger amount of issues and hyunjae didn't know if he had enough willpower to make sure he kept his gaze away from his best friend.

they started off well, juyeon was just jogging beside hyunjae and the older found it easy to lose himself in the lyrics of the song that jacob was playing. after about 15 minutes hyunjae had given up on the jogging and was ready to take a break by sitting on one of the exercise bikes for 5 minutes. usually, this would be the point at which hyunjae would take advantage of the room's layout and sit on the bike opposite juyeon so that he could stare at him inconspicuously. however, with jacob around, hyunjae decided to move on to the rowing machine instead.

it didn't help much, even though he had his back facing juyeon, hyunjae could still see the boy in mirror. every time he would so much as take a glance at his best friend, when he tore his eyes away, hyunjae always found that he met eyes with jacob. in fact, it happened so frequently that hyunjae would've been ready to bet his entire life savings on the fact that jacob was watching him on purpose. sadly, because of this, hyunjae couldn't stare at juyeon nearly as much as he wanted to during their session. just to be careful, he even avoided the exercise bikes completely in favour of doing whatever activity he could where he wasn't facing juyeon. he just really, truly hoped that jacob's leg would be better next week and that he could slip back into his usual gym class routine.