letter 58

just as hyunjae expected juyeon was back to his usual happy and positive self the next day. the older boy had woken up early regardless and headed over to the dance studio to check on him. he was happy to find both juyeon and changmin there performing their routine perfectly over and over again with huge smiles on their faces.

"so it's going well then?" hyunjae asked as soon as he walked through the door causing juyeon to jump.

"yes!" changmin exclaimed happily as he jogged over to pause the music, "did you watch that last run through?"

"yeah i was watching through the door," hyunjae replied, "i didn't want to interrupt you because it looked super good."

the grin on juyeon's face as hyunjae spoke was so big it was almost immeasurable. juyeon had made it no secret that the praise he enjoyed the most was that he got from hyunjae. the older wasn't sure what it was but he assumed it was because he had known him the longest and had seen him grow as a dancer but regardless, hyunjae was elated that his words were the ones that could make juyeon the happiest.

as the practice came to an end and changmin and juyeon went to freshen up, hyunjae was left alone in the studio. this didn't happen often but when it did, he would usually take the chance to sing.

with the knowledge that the other two boys usually took 15 minutes or so to get ready, he reached into the cupboard for his microphone and plugged his phone into the speakers.

singing was both freeing and relaxing for hyunjae. despite the fact that he hadn't had any vocal coaching for nearly 4 years and he hadn't warmed up his voice that day, he was rather happy with how it sounded. he'd managed to hit every note he attempted perfectly and had not once gone off key. after about ten minutes passed, he finished his final song and was about to put the microphone away before an excited voice stopped him.

"hyunjae, i didn't know that you could sing?" changmin's shocked face greeted hyunjae after he jumped from the shock.

"i don't usually show anyone other than juyeon," the boy in question admitted bashfully before continuing to put the microphone away.

"you should!" changmin explained still in awe, "you were so so good, i really mean it you're super talented."

"thanks," hyunjae blushed a little at the compliment and smiled, "i really don't tell many people though."

changmin simply nodded in response, "don't worry you're safe with me."

juyeon joined them then and just like that changmin seemed to commit the entire situation to memory. hyunjae was quite thankful for this as the last thing he wanted was sangyeon and jacob pestering him trying to get him to join their vocal stage at the festival. he was more than happy to simply relax and not pay attention to anyone other than juyeon and his dance.

they headed to class then, hyunjae and juyeon decided to take the long route around just to waste as much time as possible. when they finally sat down, their teacher had already arrived and it only took another two minutes before the bell rang and she began speaking.

"now, thank you for all giving your forms back in for the trip, i'll give you some more details now," she smiled and hyunjae felt both nerves and excitement creep into his veins.

of course, the idea of spending a night being roommates with juyeon was exciting but equally it was still terrifying. hyunjae knew they had had countless sleepovers. he could hardly count on one hand the amount of times just in the last few months that they had both cuddled each other to sleep but this felt different. maybe it was because they weren't at home, maybe it was because his feeling for juyeon were only growing stronger everyday, he didn't know. yet, something just made it all feel a lot scarier.