Chapter 21

The sizzling sound of the hot pan echoed throughout the quiet apartment, with Y/n worriedly glancing over her brother's door. She set a plate for him hoping he would come out, but his door remained closed. With a heavy heart, she gathered her things and went to school, "I'm off..."

The door creaked closed. Kamoshida waited for a couple of minutes and left his room. His hair was unkempt, eyebags were visible under his eyes, and his face had a look of shame.

He walked towards the fresh plate of food that Y/n left and quietly ate his breakfast. Once he finished he pulled his phone out and went through his contacts, but paused and hovered over a name.

He let out a sigh and called the number, after a couple of rings the phone picked up. "Hello?" A woman's voice could be heard over the phone, her voice was stern and smooth. Kamoshida, taken aback by the woman's voice calmed his breathing and swallowed his saliva, "Is this Tanaka Yumi?" Kamoshida desperately asked.

The woman on the other line had her long black hair tied in a loose ponytail and her purple eyes were hidden behind by a pair of glasses. She recognized the voice, but couldn't figure it out.

"Who's asking?" The woman asked as she shuffled through her papers on her desk. Kamoshida nervously took in a breath and finally answered after a couple of seconds of silence, "Suguru Kamoshida..."

The woman's eyes widened in shock and the shuffling stopped, her expression went from neutral to one of amusement mixed with anger. She took off her glasses to properly rub her eyes, as she finally realized who the voice belonged to.

"Why are you calling me? I thought I blocked your number." Yumi asked in frustration, clenching her fist in anger. Kamoshida noticed the anger in her voice and pulled the phone a couple of inches away from his ear, fearing that she'll yell at him.

"I know I know, I messed up during our time together-"

"You sure did. I was fine that you broke up with me and all, I understood that you wanted to focus on training. But what I wasn't fine with was that a week or two later you had two girls throwing themselves onto you." Yumi furiously finished her statement before calming her breathing and settling down on her chair.

"So, why did you call? I doubt it to catch up and letting me berate you. Unless you want me to berate you on how much of a jerk you are." Yumi said in fake astonishment. Kamoshida stayed silent so she could calm down, he knew he had no right to argue.

He can hear a sigh from the other side, "I shouldn't let my emotions take control. That was childish, so why did you call?" Yumi asked suspiciously, waiting for his answer as she flipped through her research notes.

"It's about Y/n..." Kamoshida finally answered in a solemn voice. Yumi's hand paused mid-way of her flipping her notes. Her expression was still neutral, but her hands were slightly shaking. Not from fear, but in anger.

"Explain now." Yumi's voice lowered with anger hidden behind it. Kamoshida flinched at the sudden change of her voice, but he needed to press on.

"I...She...." Kamoshida went silent. He didn't know how to put the situation into words. Yumi patiently waited to see what happened to Y/n. After a couple of minutes of silence between the two, Kamoshida finally answered.

"I don't want her to be alone...Her world is going to fall apart. And once I'm gone, she'll be completely alone... Can you please take her in when I'm taken away?" Kamoshida paused, waiting for her answer.

Yumi deciphered his message and was confused, "What do you mean "taken away"? What's going to happen that the police have to take you away!?" Yumi shouted in anger. Kamoshida sighed, already knowing she'll understand what he meant.