*eighteen(fitz)*

I've been waiting for forever for this day to come

I've been waiting for forever for this day to come. Sophie's winnowing gala. I know that we are on bad terms right now, but I know that I can make it better--she's liked me for so long, she can't just stop. Biana took me with her to Atlantis to get a suit for the gala and we went our separate ways. She found me when I had narrowed it down to two choices, either a deep blue or teal. "Brother, I really don't think Sophie's going to wear those colors. They don't match with her eyes and red is a way better color."

"Red doesn't match with my eyes, plus despite her hard personality to me in the years she still has feelings for me. I can just sense it, she can't have gotten over me that quickly." I say smuggly, knowing that it has to be true. My sister gives me that 'you'll never know' look, "Look, I'm just saying, big brother. I love you, but Sophie is my best friend and I know her better than you ever will." I roll my eyes and choose that the teal one would look better, matching with my eyes and all.

***

This morning I got ready with a kick start, it's finally here, today's the day. Brushing my hair back to look like father's, I look in the mirror and see my reflection. Last night I got better sleep than I have in a long while, so my eyes are brighter and I look like I did as a young boy--happy and energetic. Checking my breath one more time I place a mint on my tongue and walk out of my room and head to where the gala's being held.

Sophie comes in just as everything settles down, and boy, she took everyone's breath away. From what Biana told me, no one has seen what she looks like at all. No one knew what dress she was going to wear, the way she styled her hair, or her make-up, she came as a complete mystery. As she walks down the stairs I can see the fake smile on her face, but when she sees me her smile grows wider.

She moves and walks towards me, so I meet her halfway. The funny thing is that when she sees me her face darkens, but I take her hand and her face goes back to normal. She looks back one more time and her gaze lingers for a while until I start speaking to her, "I thought you were going to wear a different color. I thought we'd match." A look of defiance crosses her face, but as she did before she wipes all emotion from her face, "Well I'm sorry to disappoint, let's go find the others."

As we got to the group I saw Biana's smile and knew that she was going to gloat, I mean she has every right to. I was wrong. "See, Fitz. I told you she was going to wear red, you should have listened to me." I roll my eyes and see that Sophie has a comprehensive look on her face, but it breaks into a smile, "I mean red is my color, would you doubt I'd wear it?" I mentally chant the F word in my head, I'm beyond pissed, but like Sophie I smooth my face out. "Even though our colors clash, would you do me the pleasure of being your first dance tonight?"

She was just about to answer me when a red head bumped into her, she didn't say anything about it, but I wasn't just about to let it go. "Hey!" I grab the guy by his shoulders and look him in the eye, "Aren't you at least going to apologise? Do you know who that is?" The guy gives me a little condescending smirk, "Of course I know who that is. Why else would I be here? I just needed to pass along a little message and then I'll be out--," He cuts himself off.