Chapter 2: The Underdogs

June 1943

There were so many people waiting, the buzz of the the chatter from the crowds was literally making backstage vibrate. Howard Stark's very first Stark Expo was about to begin in New York City and the man himself was yet to arrive. Though, you wouldn't expect much else from a twenty-five year old, multi-millionaire bachelor, especially one that needed to drown his sorrows.

Nellie held the clipboard in her hands even tighter against her chest, he needed to be here, the expo couldn't start until he introduced it and unveiled one of his latest creations. She felt as if she could only blame herself, over the last six months Howard had tried to ask Nellie on a date three times and she had rejected him each and every time, the most recent attempt had occurred on the previous night.

As soon as Howard had made his speech and shown off his new invention of a flying car - a ludicrous and stupid idea Nellie thought - she could then leave. Bucky was back from his training for one night only, whilst being trained in Wisconsin he had made the rank of Sergeant and he was due to ship off in the morning to England, and then eventually mainland Europe. In true Bucky fashion he had arranged a double date for himself and Steve, they were going dancing, but first he wanted to say goodbye to Nellie, and if she missed him she was going to resent Howard for all times should something happen to her brother whilst he was away at war.

Bucky's absence had caused Steve and Nellie to grow close, their relationship was mainly platonic, well completely platonic unless you counted holding hands on a walk around central park for about ten minutes romantic. They used each other to fill the hole that Bucky had left and had ultimately become best friends, both of their romantic feelings had taken somewhat of a back seat for the moment despite both of them still feeling the same way for one another.

"There she is, there's my number one girl!" Howard announced himself loudly, causing Nellie to jump out of her skin as he strode up the stairs towards the side stage where she was waiting. Nellie rolled her eyes at him as she took note of his swaying steps. He took Nellie into his arms and placed a kiss against her cheek. He smelt like whiskey.

Nellie remained stoic, her hands still on her clipboard, as she glared up at him. "You're late. And drunk."

Howard released her, waving her off as he took the jacket he was due to wear off of the hanger next to wear Eleanor was standing. "The crowds haven't noticed. Listen to how excited they are."

"You knew I had plans to see my brother - you know what never mind." Nellie knew better than to let her anger take hold of her, especially when Howard was too drunk to remember. She preferred to yell at him when he was sober. "Everything is ready for you, its all been tested, its in your hands now."

Howard frowned at her, unsure as to why his beautiful Nellie was glaring at him. He wanted her so badly, why couldn't she just say yes?

"Will you be joining me later for a drink to celebrate?" Howard asked, completely forgetting her earlier statement and the topic that Nellie had been excitedly talking to him about for the last two weeks.

Nellie exhaled deeply through her nose. He won't remember. He won't remember. "I'm afraid not, I'm meeting my brother and a few friends, he's setting off to England in the morning." Nellie said in a clipped tone.

Suddenly the voice of the Expo announcer boomed out through the speakers. "Welcome to the Modern Marvels Pavilion and the World of Tomorrow. A greater world. A better world."

Howard ignored it. "Ah, very well. I shall see you first thing Monday morning." His voice had softened, it wasn't as slurred. Seeing Nellie so upset with him had sobered him up a little and he knew an angry Nellie wouldn't do him any favours. Howard nodded at her, a silent apology which she would half accept for now, and he turned towards the stage as the introductory music began.