Chapter 19: Post-Battle Ritual

As soon as the Quinjet touched back down onto the secure surface of the Helicarrier, and rolled into the hanger, the jet was instantly surrounded. Nellie, Steve, Tony, Thor, Natasha and even the pilot were forced to disembark the aircraft as Loki remained chained to his seat. A swarm of agents in heavy gear with some very large guns moved in as the group watched on, each with hard, apprehensive looks on their faces.

The group was then ushered towards the exit of the hanger the jet rested in, Nellie having just enough time to take a quick glance over her shoulder to see Loki being cuffed and the sceptre being placed in a secure case. As the group walked in silence, Tony peeled off to remove his suit, whilst everyone else made their way towards the bridge as instructed.

"What happens now?" Nellie whispered to Steve as they walked side by side down the long grey corridor. She felt like she needed a shower, the blood on her face had long since dried and her hair needed a good brush now that it had come loose from its braid. She was tired too, but she knew she would not get what she wanted until the mission was complete. Too much was at stake.

"I'm not sure." Steve leaned his head down towards her as he spoke, keeping his voice low. "I suppose you'll go back to searching for the cube with Dr Banner." He suggested as he passed his shield to Nellie momentarily so that he could remove his helmet.

Nellie took it without question, and then realised this was the first time she has held it since before they went into the ice. It had a calming familiarity to it, she admired the fresh paint work, remembering all the scrapes that had once chipped at Howard's handiwork.

"I suppose you're right." Nellie said back to Steve as the two of them, Thor, and a few other agents entered the bridge, Natasha continued past the board table and towards the secondary corridor to retrieve Bruce. Nellie offered Steve his shield back and smiled at the fluffiness of his helmet hair.

"What?" Steve asked unsurely as he took his shield and carefully placed it down on the board table, along with his helmet. Nellie's smile widened and the sight of it took Steve's breath away. When was the last time she smiled at me like that?

"Come here." Nellie beckoned for him to lean forward with a wave of her hand, her smile still lighting up her face. "Your hair." She explained as Steve complied but took a seat on the edge of the table instead so that she could reach the top of his head a little easier. Nellie took a step closer towards him, almost standing between his legs as she reached forward and began to smooth his hair down with her fingertips.

It took every cell in Steve's body to stop him from closing his eyes and leaning into her touch as she ran her fingers through his hair. He tried to remain focused, keeping his eyes on hers as he watched her concentrate. "I think I've lost count the amount of times you have done this for me." Steve said with a low chuckle. Helmet hair was a common occurrence in Steve's life.

She had lost her smile whilst concentrating but the right corner of her mouth twitched up into a smirk. Nellie's eyes flickered down to Steve to see him already staring up at her, his gaze made her stomach flutter. "It was always the first part of our post-battle ritual." She flattened the final lip in Steve's hair and lowered her hands so they were now by her sides again.

Steve kept his eyes on her and couldn't help it when the next sentence tumbled out of his mouth. "The second part was more fun." Immediately his mind became split. He half regretted saying it, worried he would make Nellie feel uncomfortable, but the other half of him was both curious and confident. He kept his eyes locked on her, waiting for her reaction.

Nellie blinked at him as the memories came to life inside her head. His hands gripping her waist, his soft lips moving against her own, their chests pressed together... their hips too. Nellie gulped as the blush crawled up her neck and the warm feelings stirred in the pit of her stomach. "It was." She admitted quietly, completely surprised he had even brought it up.