Chapter 26: More Than Anything

A/N: Just a reminder that FYI there is a spicy scene within in this chapter🌶️I know the book is marked as mature but just in case you would like to skip that part its best to stop reading after the * * * chapter break. Anyway, hope you all enjoy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What's the plan now?" Tony asked, trying and failing to revive his suit. It was dead, now only an extravagant suit of armour without his technological additions.

After the emotional hug shared between Nellie and Tony, the team had begun their walk up the Park Avenue Viaduct towards the entrance of Stark Tower. As always, the brunette had found herself gravitating back towards Steve, wanting nothing more than to fall into his arms and just stay there forever. They walked side by side, her arm wrapped around his torso as she settled into his side, finally content, his arm was draped over her shoulder, holding her body to his.

Nellie and Steve led the team, with Tony on her right and Thor on Steve's left, with the Hulk directly behind them. It reminded Nellie of the walk back to the base camp in Italy in November 1943, the comradery riding at an all time high after their victory.

"I'll retrieve the Tesseract." Nellie began, answering Tony's earlier question but not really giving anyone else room for argument. The sceptre might have closed the portal, but from past experience, Nellie knew the Tesseract was unpredictable. "It might be best if we get up there now." She pondered, her eyes drifting up to the tops of the buildings that now blocked most of the natural light as the afternoon approached. She looked across Steve to Thor. "Could you give me a lift?" Tony would have been the ideal candidate but the suit was in no way capable now.

The group stopped and Thor stepped around Steve. "It would be my pleasure." He said gallantly.

Nellie dropped her arm from around Steve, looking up at him to see if he agreed with her plan now that she had unintentionally taken the lead. He gave her a subtle nod and a quick wink that had Nellie smiling bashfully. She sucked her bottom lip into her mouth to stop the blush forming and looked away. "Natasha, are you there?" She called out, needing the distraction.

"I'm here." She replied quickly. "Sceptre and the Tesseract are both in my sight." She added on, knowing that would be the next question as she stood waiting on the roof. Dr Selvig was lingering awkwardly beside her, she didn't feel the need to mention him just yet.

"Thor and I are coming to you." Nellie confirmed as Thor stepped closer to her, asking permission with his eyes to take hold of Nellie.

Steve clenched his jaw, he knew he had nothing to worry about but it still didn't change the fact that another man, a God no less, was going to have Nellie pressed against him, well himself pressed against Nellie.

He needed a distraction too. "Barton?" Steve said in a level voice, Hawkeye had been rather quiet for a while.

"Behind you." Clint's voice remarked, his voice almost an echo as they heard him in person and through the comms devices, the close proximity tech not quite kicking in. Behind the group Clint began to jog up the Viaduct to meet them, he looked fairly okay, just a few cuts and scrapes across his bare arms.

The team smiled at his arrival. "Glad you're okay." Steve gave him a light pat on the back, welcoming him back.

"Me too, Cap." He panted, placing his hands on his hips as he tried to catch his breath, an easy smile on his face.

Steve's smile lingered as he turned to Nellie and Thor. "We'll meet you up there, we'll meet at the Penthouse." He then eyed Tony, seeing him already smiling to himself as Thor placed his hand around Nellie's waist, holding her tightly, allowing for her to place her arms around his shoulders and neck.