Chapter 23: Avengers... What A Great Team We Are

"Are you sure you're okay?" Nellie asked seriously, her eyebrows were furrowed harshly, a fear swirling around in her forest green eyes as she stared at Steve, watching as his short locks of blonde hair moved with the cool wind blowing around them.

He leant fully out of her arms and instead pulled her towards him. His breathing and heart rate had returned to normal, the initial shock of almost dying now gone. They had all survived, there was no need to dwell on it now. Gently, he placed both palms against Nellie's cheeks, his thumbs slowly caressing her smooth skin. "I'm okay." He promised as he leant his forehead against her own, the small connection making Nellie's heart flutter. "Are you?" He enquired before placing a brief kiss against her forehead.

Nellie couldn't help the small smile that made its way onto her face. "I'm fine." She confirmed, letting her hands wind their way around his wrists, savoring the warmth she felt under palms. "Just a little shaken up." She then turned her head to look upon Tony who was still unmoving within his iron suit. "Tony, are you alright?"

With a quick burst the suit cracked open, the metal coming apart revealing a very exhausted Tony lying in his own iron shadow. Nellie jumped at the popping sound, moving further into Steve's awaiting arms.

Tony turned his head towards the couple, his dark eyes wild. "Took your time." He scorned as he sat up with a groan, his tone almost playful despite the severity of the situation.

Steve shrugged, joining in with Tony's banter. "I was a little busy." The smallest of smiles twitched its way onto Steve's face.

Tony really looked at both Nellie and Steve, trying to understand them. Nellie was staring at him with wide, emotional eyes, the eyes of his mother. He had been so terrible to her, and for what? She still wanted to make sure he was okay, she still wanted to be near him. And Steve, they wanted to tear each other apart and now they were talking like old friends, they worked together as a solid team.

Tony sighed deeply, giving in to his inner turmoil, letting his heart win. "I'm sorry, to you both." He began, earning two looks of surprise. He didn't give them time to weigh in. "You just look so much like her, and you remind me of him. The way you both talk to me reminds me of them and I didn't want to deal." He said honestly, really opening up to someone that wasn't Pepper or Happy.

Steve's small smile saddened. "Tony..."

Tony shook his head sharply. "No, don't." He raised a hand towards the couple. "Just let me have my moment, I thought I was going to die, I've had it, now let's get back to work." He smiled at them quickly, ignoring the lump in his throat, and then tried to distract himself by climbing out of his suit.

His feet hit the grating a little uneasily and Nellie was up in a flash, her hands there steadying him. She felt overwhelmed, an immense flood of happiness had surged into her heart. Yes, he had acted immaturely, but he had dealt with a lot throughout his life and Nellie and Steve being thrown into it was another hurdle he had to find a way over. "Thank you." Nellie whispered, her eyes filling with tears.  She didn't give him a chance to react, instead she leant forward and wrapped her arms around him, pulling him into a long overdue hug.

Tony was hesitant at first, taking a brief second to register what was going on, but he reciprocated the hug, wrapping his arms around his aunt's shoulders.

To Nellie she was hugging Bucky again, but was also glad she now had family with Tony. Likewise for the man himself, he felt as if his mother was there - despite being half a foot taller - and he too found comfort that he now had Nellie and Steve in his life.

"Agent Coulson is down." Nick's macabre voice called out over the channels, the statement instantly making Nellie and Tony pull apart. Nellie cast her eyes towards Steve who was making his way to his feet. The shock present on all the trio's faces.